Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Andrew Clark

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Crazy Andy polycounter lvl 12
I have worked as a games artist for ten years, mostly doing environment, and vehicle art. I have just joined polycount, and thought i'd start off with some shameless self promotion.

http://andrewclarkart.blogspot.com/

All the renders use the in game res maps, not the larger maps from the psd.

Suggestions are welcome...

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work, and the site is well laid out and fast.

Love your texture work on Darksiders, great style!

Welcome to Polycount, too - a great portfolio is always a good way to introduce yourself :)
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Andy great portfolio....I was pimping it on PC earlier today as a great example of what can be done with blogger (....and a scary amount of talent doesn't hurt either :) )
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Andy it's great to see you on polycount, your texturing work is of course amazing and its great receiving critiques and assistance from you.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Solid work all around, Andrew. Welcome to Polycount. Don't really have any critiques on the work, it's got fantastic progression of quality from your old to new work. Looking forward to seeing more in the future :)
  • ivanushka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to polycount man. Excellent work; your textures and models are superb! I especially enjoyed your Darksiders and Other Game Art sections.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Portfolio site looks real nice and the work is awesome as always, keep it up.
  • Crazy Andy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all. I still need to gets to grips with Z Brush, and hopefully I will find time for more personal projects. I may get rid of the old CG page, the Rhino work is accurate and detailed, but it's untextured and lit using Rhino's standard renderer which was basic. I wouldn't mind texturing a character someday i'm curious to see how it would turn out, as well as being a new challenge.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    Welcome Andy, your stuff is sexy as always. ;)
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Fantastic work. You're an inspiration to us all. It's funny you call yourself Crazy Andy. I worked with a guy named Andy that we called Crazy Andy because he said crazy stuff like, "If I won the lottery, I'd buy a Lamborghini and drill holes in it just because I could afford it."
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work, dude! I really really love your texture work, so awesome!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    so much love poured into those texs
    that oily-smeary stuff u put in the rust texs is really cool
    only suggestion i can possibly think of is trying to push some oranges into the dark areas, altho that could just be a style thing
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice work man, added your portfolio to my inspiration folder. :)
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neolight polycounter lvl 10
    SO sick dude. Thanks for being an inspiration.
  • SubPablo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    Great work! -love those textures!
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    Hands-down, best metal texture work I have evaaaar seen! If you made a tutorial I would buy that shit.
    Are the textures hand painted?
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice work, great texture-work man :)
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heartless polycounter lvl 8
    Your work is top-notch, however, the website displaying your work is mediocre. Why no .com? Some of the images are linked to images that also show normal maps and extra work. Make mention of this or show everything on the page.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ what's wrong with the website, huh?

Amazing work, love both ps2-gen and current gen examples,
    incredible texturing!
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Very inspirational. I damn near saved every jpg on the site.
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikken wrote: »
    ^ what's wrong with the website, huh?
    It's a free sub-domain blog with Blogger logos and features all over. That says "I took the easiest/cheapest route to displaying my work."
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    But the work is great. Presentation matters but i'm really not seeing an issue here.
    Looking through my bookmarks, there are plenty of sites i've saved that are set up in this way and not once have I thought 'hey the work is great but I wish Mr. slacker would buy a domain - how cheap!'
    My standards - she is low!
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    Andy, your work is really not good at all. Especially for that game "Darksiders" is it ? (never heard of it, must've been a really small, low-quality production)

Your texture work on those vehicles didn't really impress me, I could barely tell they were damaged, let alone had gone through an apocalypse, they look almost brand new. Your sub-par texturing abilities will not stay engraved forever in my memory, and as such, as one could infer from the parameters of the situation, I am not putting your website in my Google Chrome favorites folder named "Great 3D Artists" for future reference.

Good day.
  • thankupon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great stuff Andy :poly106:
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed wrote: »
    But the work is great. Presentation matters but i'm really not seeing an issue here.
    Looking through my bookmarks, there are plenty of sites i've saved that are set up in this way and not once have I thought 'hey the work is great but I wish Mr. slacker would buy a domain - how cheap!'
    My standards - she is low!
    The OP's work is great but there are a lot of artists out there with equal talent. And when it comes down to choosing between two equally talented artists, it'll be that easy to remember domain and professional web page that land the job.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Dude, your textures are amazing!!! I really wish I could get my hands on the psd's of the truck texture. How did u get the paint so perfectly made?
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heartless wrote: »
    The OP's work is great but there are a lot of artists out there with equal talent. And when it comes down to choosing between two equally talented artists, it'll be that easy to remember domain and professional web page that land the job.
    Not that OP will have many equally awesome artists to compete for a job with, and then, his previous work experience will matter more than thisawesomewebsitena.me on a resume.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd

I think the blogspot site is nice. I think Andy up'd the standards quit abit with a clean presentation. (I'm definitely redoing mine ;) )

In my experience, no one really cares about .com or Hidgy_widgy_art.com type names. What they do care about is association with artists Name and quality. If i can remember his name in conjunction with awesome art on any site, I can probably google him to find his name or find him on Linkedin relatively fast. I think the "importance" of domain uniqueness was more impactful in 2001 than it is now. ALthough in contrast it is nice to have once "name" as a domain. But that's actually kinda hard sometimes.

Hey Andy, could you explain your texture process? I"ve asked you before and was blown away so I know these guys would love hearing about it. I'm particularly interested in your normal mapping technique with the tilting red brick pattern. Seeing as you don't use Zbrush, I'm interested in how you achieved the offset depth.
  • Crazy Andy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes blogger was and easier and a free way for me to set up an online portfolio. I have never had a website before so i wanted someting easy to edit and update. Even if I did as heartless suggests I would not have changed the design much or at all. Employers would probably be a bit more impressed with a non blogger one but during a ten year carear in games at six companies I have got the job based on samples and work history. If blogger or any other free one had not been able to create the kind of look and feel I wanted I would have done as Heartless mentions. Tomorrow lunchtime I will mention my process, they are no advanced methods involved...
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12

Disagree. The fact that Andy's site is easy to navigate, simple and efficiently laid out with his contact info immediately in your face communicates his work just fine. Some folks don't know HTML/Flash etc and may update their site quite often, blogpspot is great for that and really isn't unprofessional.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Really great stuff, as has been called out a few times already your texturing is stunning, loved how you handled the polycounts on a lot of stuff too, very authentic feeling to everything
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Yeah that's some impressive details and sharpen loving on textures.
    But, how comes you don't have mipmap bleeding issues with uv shells that close ? This always driving me nuts when i'm texturing.
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my decade or so of designing websites, paid hosting and domain names have always been important and seen as professional. Google doesn't change that. Search engines will usually give a domain higher ranking in search results than a sub-domain. Free hosting comes at a cost. If your site goes down, tough. You're not a paying customer. If they want to terminate your account for any reason, they can. Or something that is common with free hosting, they choose to restrict image uploads to a certain size and/or compress them to save on bandwidth costs, there goes your pretty textures.

A few bucks a month for security and even the smallest bit of added "wow" and professionalism is a no brainer.

SquareSpace might be a good option.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    just to add my voice to the many others - really great work. would love to see a texturing tutorial or even just a breakdown of the psd files.

keep up the good work
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    In my decade or so of designing websites, paid hosting and domain names have always been important and seen as professional. Google doesn't change that. Search engines will usually give a domain higher ranking in search results than a sub-domain. Free hosting comes at a cost. If your site goes down, tough. You're not a paying customer. If they want to terminate your account for any reason, they can. Or something that is common with free hosting, they choose to restrict image uploads to a certain size and/or compress them to save on bandwidth costs, there goes your pretty textures.

A few bucks a month for security and even the smallest bit of added "wow" and professionalism is a no brainer.

SquareSpace might be a good option.

I'm almost positive the games industry isn't based on strict professionalism but rather the quality of your work and your personality. I've even heard some recruiters and portfolio reviewers that prefer a blog type layout. Not everybody needs a super minimalistic website to show their work off, if their work is good, then it's good.