Home Technical Talk

Does low tris affect the models texture?

Hello,
I and my friend were arguing about the question stated in the tittle.
He states that the low tris model will affect the textures position and stretching while higher detail model wont.
Reference he sent me:
tristex.png

I'm new to 3d modeling so I don't know much and can't seem to find the answer in Google.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When properly uvmapped, the amount of geometry has nothing to do with stretching.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    If you are cutting in edges on a model with a tiling texture that has previous uv's, the placement of the edges can affect how the texture reacts. However as earthquake mentioned, remapping the uv's will fix any stretching.

To give you a real world example, if you slice off the top of a pillar and add damage modeling and texture blending to the damaged area, as you are cutting in edges on non-planar surfaces it will have a noticeable effect on the texture stretching. But unfolding the uv's to compensate will usually fix it.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the case of your image? Absolutely not.

A lot of time when dealing with cylindrical objects though, having some extra loops helps.

Here is an example of something I did a while back:

carousel_proof.jpg

Here, you can see that I made the carousel by making one section of it, then copying it and bending it into a round shape. Since it was bent, the geometry stretched a little bit, which is causing some issues with the uv/texture, as you can see in the top image. The crease on the floor is bent, and the round mirror and stars is also warped. Adding in another loop along here straitened that right out.

One could argue that I can unwrap it differently to avoid the stretching, which is true, but in this instance it was quicker and easier to just fix the area with another loop...which ended up smoothing out the silhouette of the geometry anyways.

Generally speaking though, with the exception of this example, you never really need extra geo to get an nicer unwrap.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You can also use extra geometry to also reduce texture space, or reduce distortion when animating, but for a static model, with unique uv's, don't worry about deleting, just ake sure you don't uv the object before you reduce the tri count.
  • keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    UVs will not be affected if you have the same number of unique vertices between the two models. Each vertex contains as much UV information as faces attached to it. It's strange, because you may have one vertex but it'll have several UVs for all of its different faces.