Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Winery (image heavy)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Tavor polycounter lvl 8
I've been at this project for a while now, and would love some crit.

This was the original thing that inspired it:

conceptb.jpg

I really liked the layout/composition, so I wanted to do something along these lines, but in the end I ended up with this:

winerypreview.jpgwinerypreview.jpg

Something fell through the roof. One idea was that this place was brewing whiskey, which I've heard is flammable, and that the building narrowly escaped getting burned down.

Anyway, again, I would love crit on it. Most things in the shot are WIP.

Some in-viewport shots using the 3 Point Shader:

flourescentlight.jpg

flourescentlightwirefra.jpg

Already posted that in the tech talk section, but I figured showing it again won't hurt.

pipesv.jpg

pipeswireframe.jpg

quikrete.jpg

quikretewireframe.jpg

radiator.jpg

radiatorwireframe.jpg

tablesaw.jpg

tablesawwireframe.jpg

I don't know what happened with the wireframe there.

windowmt.jpg

windowwireframe.jpg

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    good set of props. i really like the pipes and the tablesaw. looking forward to more.
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the Quickrete bag needs some more love. They usually have their logo on the bag with a bunch of writing. And the spec of it should be brought down significantly, it currently looks like a big clump of silly putty.

The table saw looks awesome! I think you should give this kind of attention to the rest of the props. The window frame and pipes are looking a bit too clean.

Anyways, keep it up man! I like the layout and how your scene is looking!
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the comments.

@Rico: All of the assets you see except the tablesaw just have base colors applied. I haven't even started texturing them. The quikrete bags crazy spec is the product of fussing with the spec and gloss in the shader, so when I make the map, I'll make sure to tone it down.

@Super Happy Cow: Hehe, its for in-game use. I'll optimize the quikrete bag even further, but I'm not sure what to cut anymore with the radiator, though.

As for the normal maps, right now, all of those assets (except the tablesaw because that was a separate project) are on one set of 1024 textures. I baked a set of 4096s, so it shouldn't be too hard to upconvert them.

Thanks again!
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heartless polycounter lvl 8
    The table saw doesn't look very sturdy. It also looks like someone got their face cut off with it. Bit too much splatter.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Look like a good start! I think you've went a bit crazy with the tris on some places. Like the window frame. The lower stones doesn't need all thous tris to maintain a good silhouette. Talking mainly about the triangles on the big flat side. Same goes for the upper stones. You can argue about if the bevels on the stones are even noticeable, i would remove them.

I also think your normals is inverted or something on the concrete bars in the ceiling.
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, good to see you post this. I was wondering when I'd see an update on it. You've definitely gotten away from the "parking garage" look it had before. Get something happening with that plastic sheeting/tarp hanging up :)
  • Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your normals on things are bizarre. like the Quickrete bag looks like a clay brick or the pipes are almost soft... it looks like you went under zbrush and did these peices and baked it on a really low subdivision..
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    I'm still fooling around with trying to get dust in the scene along with messing with the lights to see if I can get anything I like better. I cut the triangle count for the radiator, the bag, and the window almost in half for each. Anyway, any critique is appreciated.

critpic04.jpg
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try and not put the props in little clumps on the ground like that spread them out make it look more natural ...
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    @duxun: The bags and the planks are placed in piles just because I thought that that's how a construction worker would organize his space. Is that what you meant?

@Super Happy Cow: Here you go :)

quikrete02.jpg

radiatoru.jpg

window2q.jpg

winebarrels.jpg
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't think of how placement of props would be realistically (even though you do need to take reference from reality). however look for winery concepts to create a scene for a game. there are elements that are in reality that don't fight or look akward/out of place in a game environment for the purposes of attaining a job in the game industry.

i hope you grasp what im trying to say...

Cheers...
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    Damn, I didn't see those edges on the support. Thanks for the pointout.

As for the radiator, what do you mean by the verts in the interior curvature?

Small update:

critpic05.jpg