Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Danny Weinbaum - Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Orchidface polycounter lvl 7
Hey, everyone. I recently put together a portfolio and landed my first gig as an environment artist intern at ArenaNet. It'd be really nice to see what people think of it as I haven't posted it anywhere yet.

http://artofdanny.blogspot.com/

Thanks so much.

Replies

• Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Everything looks good to me, all I can say is do more! I like that you have scenes put together, maybe you could isolate some of the props you made for them and let us see a closer view? Also maybe show some wireframes/highpoly models. That might help your portfolio look fuller too. But other than that its good stuff! Congratz on your internship!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    looks really good danny. i really like the asian forest. in addition to what firecracker said, you may want to show some of your UV/texture layouts for some assets.. definitely for the houses that youve got.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    really nice work, i've a few comments but really just being picky tbh - they're already very good.

1. are you using the bump offset node at all? (displacement map?) the tiled roofs and rough stone walls look a little flat atm without it.

2. your graffiti decal texture is slightly stretched over the drainpipe. i think you can choose to exclude an object from the projection but that might not look right from the other angle.

3. you dont seem to be using either screenspace or lightmass ambient occlusion. it's so ubiquitous these days i'm really noticing it not being there on your bins etc. in your alleyway.

4. i'm not sure the corners on the interesting builing work. i can see what you're trying to do mixing geometry and textures but it just doesnt quite gel for me. a bump ofset might help.

5. cant really crit the asian forest tbh, did you model all the plants yourself or speed tree them? it might have been nice to see more of the bridge in the background or at least have different views for the day and night but thats more of a personal preference than a crit.

like i said earlier though, really nice work

tharle
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thankyou so much everyone! Firecracker you're right it would be cool to have some of my more elaborate props singled out.

Tharle thanks for the thoughtful crits. I am indeed using Lightmass and its AO. I didn't think it was showing up very well either. I did hand model all the vegetation in the forest scene old school with alpha cards and such, hah. I'm now thinking I should make that clearer.
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neolight polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome dude. You must be way excited to be working with Daniel Dociu, Kekai, and all those guys.
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neolight wrote: »
    Awesome dude. You must be way excited to be working with Daniel Dociu, Kekai, and all those guys.

Its pretty dreamy, haha.