Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Zbrush bust

NBLM
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
NBLM polycounter lvl 13
Hello, I want to show you guys my first sculpt I made. I know it's not fantastic and
boring to look at, but I really want to get better in zBrush.
So, c&C and hints are much appreciated!

bustcg.jpg

Thanks.

Replies

• Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome :)

A good place to start when doing the head is blocking in the main forms and planes of the face. A great reference for that is the Asaro head [urlhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinnolte/sets/72157623462437058/[/url] . You can buy one too, but there are lots of images you can find online.

Once you've got these main planes in you can tweak proportions and start workign into finer details.

It's also good to learn anatomy to have a better understanding of where muscles are, how what particular ones do and how they interact with those around. I found Zac Petroc's 'Form of Anatomy' lessons (from Gnomonolgy I think) excellent for this as he actually goes over a zbrush model and explains each muscle (relevant ones to artists anyway) and how to look at them from an artists point of view.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    lookin good for a first bust. id agree with everything mongrelman said, another suggestion id have for you is try and get as much detail as possible in your lower subdivisions before moving up. often times people will jump up a few subds to just get the extra geometry to work with. building up those lower forms will really help you when you get to the higher subDs, and all together it will help the forms blend smoothly together.

also a side note.. when sculpting, try to stay away from the redwax matcap. its ok at first but at times you can see more detail with others (i typically use the white cavity or even sometimes a basic one)
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks guys for the tips, there are really helpful!
    I think, I will study more anatomy now,perhabs buy this video too.

Thanks again!