Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Carbonmade portfolio

Hey guys, just wondering what your thoughts are on using Carbonmade as your primary portfolio site. Think prospective employers will mind or is it too unprofessional?

I really like the overall look of it so if I was going to create a normal site it would look pretty similar anyway.

I've got a free one up at the moment but was thinking of upgrading to the paid service when I graduate in a few months so I can put videos and more images up.

http://twistedscripture.carbonmade.com/

Think its worth it or should I just get off my lazy ass and make a proper one?

Replies

• Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Site looks fine as it is (just your name isn't visible enough for a portfolio site, and needs resume stuff), I doubt any employer will mind that.
    Only advantage to doing your own thing is to eventually have your own domain name, which is a bit more professional, but honestly not important at all.
  • DigitalDilettante
    Cheers Bal, think I should change the URL to robertbaker.carbonmade.com? Suppose even with the .carbonmade, having my name in the url is more professional.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    If you're really obsessed with having your own domain name, you can always purchase your own, and have it alias over to the carbonmade link. Not like having a domain name shows how great of an employee you'll be. ¬_¬
  • DigitalDilettante
    Very true, perhaps I'm just being pedantic. You've got a great carbonmade portfolio by the way :D
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Use carbonmade myself. Only gripes i have is it's a little wonky in navigation and you have to pay money for larger images.

If I could do it all again i've heard you can set up a personalized blogspot site that will look very legit with no restrictions whatsoever. You may want to search around and see how that's done. Customizable, easy and no image restrictions.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    following on from what crazyfingers said this is one of the best blogger sites that I have seen http://andrewclarkart.blogspot.com/

I managed to do the one in my sig link in a day and I cant code for toffee....worth looking into I would say if you are unhappy with carbonmade.
  • DigitalDilettante
    Cheers for the alternatives guys, I'll check them out now. Guess I was just worried that employers might somehow be subconsciously put off by not viewing a normal site. Though if you guys say it doesn't really matter then its all good!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It does seem to suffer from the same problem as my old Behance portfolio, ie the images are locked to the very constricted size of the layout. That was one of the primary reasons I switched over to a blog based portfolio and I went from having no job interest for a year and a half to several job offers at once. Maybe conincidental, but worth considering at least.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    I personally prefer having a domain, but thats just because I'm a control freak. I only pay about $20 a year, and I didn't even really shop around, so if you're considering paying for the Carbonmade site that would be something to compare to, I don't know how much they charge. You could easily set something up in html that looks very similar.

I don't think its off-putting to use a pre-made site, but in my opinion you would probably get a +1 to effort if you made your own, and the more points you can get the better.

And I second the suggestion of adding your name to the site, if you want to appear professional it's not usually best to use an internet handle.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Carbonmade is good enough for me.Its very quick to set up and layouts are great. igi.carbonmade.com Its better then all other free folio domains i think.

If you dont want the .carbonmade thing you can always purchase the full carbonmade domain.