Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP- Terminator Shotgun

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Gabriel Fors polycounter lvl 8
Hello, All.
So, here's something I've been working with as a sort of get-back-into-the-3d-groove after a hiatus of a couple of months. It's the shotgun from Terminator. Or it's supposed to be. I just finished baking the normalmaps and would appreciate some feedback.

Some things that already are on my to-do list: Add the trigger, a non-slip pattern on the, uh, "cock" and a screw in the wood by the barrel.

Here's a picture! If you click it it grows!
wip_thumb.jpg

Any feedback appreciated!

Best Regards,
Gabriel Fors

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would exaggerate the text carving and some of the bevels (the part of the lever wrapping around the bottom half of the stock comes to mind), as I fear it will just get lost in the texturing.
    Also, the part that connects the lever to the main body looks very lumpy. Not being familiar with the original, is it suppose to look like that?
  • Gabriel Fors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    I would exaggerate the text carving and some of the bevels (the part of the lever wrapping around the bottom half of the stock comes to mind), as I fear it will just get lost in the texturing.

I've recently noticed that I need to re-do the text carving anyway, so I'll make it more noticeable. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about exaggerating the bevels, though?
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Also, the part that connects the lever to the main body looks very lumpy. Not being familiar with the original, is it suppose to look like that?

Yeah, it's supposed to be a weld. You're the second person to point that out, and I'm not 100% on how to make it more obvious, sadly. :/
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
  • Gabriel Fors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I've been doing some texture work on the chamber and handle. Mostly specular work on the metal, the diffuse is still basically just grey with some highlights except on the wood. Any feedback would be appreciated.

wip2.jpg

I'm gonna do some more work on the scratches on the handle, I'm not super pleased on how those turned out. Otherwise I think it's coming along, no?
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ I like em, too many overscratched-overworn models nowadays.
    Also love wood.
  • Gabriel Fors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uncle wrote: »
    ^ I like em, too many overscratched-overworn models nowadays.
    Also love wood.

Thank you. And yeah, I'm trying not to ruin it with too much scratching and dirt. The original, apart from some minor scratches, is actually in pretty good condition. At least at the start of the movie. :)
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice!

Yeah it seems like all game heroes take a few rounds around the block with their weapons push in a firm scratch position to the ground before going out to battle nowadays :poly121:
  • Gabriel Fors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I've been very lazy with this. Here's an update, anyhoo:
    work_05.jpg
    And also a crappy breakdown, because I felt like it:
    work_05_breakdown.jpg