Home General Discussion

Need help catching mesh/texture thief(s)

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems to me that he's probably making IMVU a nice bit of money and since they aren't technically liable for his misdeeds they aren't in a hurry to get rid of him.

Or maybe he is a IMVU employee or connected to one and it's their sneaky way of attracting customers and making more money without "actually" breaking the law.

Either way I think it's about money.

It's probably better not to get involved with such shady businesses...
  • Shinobubu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinobubu polycounter lvl 6
    Bah his account is back up. Regardless IMVU becomes liable when they perpetuate the theft. Limewire got slammed regardless of there T.O.S. so bring out the lawyers.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    This is really really really pissing me off - I should just become a private assassin to track down these people for the sake of art...
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    It seems to me that he's probably making IMVU a nice bit of money and since they aren't technically liable for his misdeeds they aren't in a hurry to get rid of him.
    Buuuut as soon as they do not respond to a DMCA they BECOME responsible
    Before that, they could feign ignorance. But after, they condone it.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    They do respond but the DMCA system means your having to prove you own something, which can be easily countered if it's not a well known brand.

And yes, the ToS gets IMVU off the hook until real lawyers are involved... this isn't a new problem, it's been around for a long time, although it really seems to have kicked off in 2007 when they got that big venture capital injection. Before that they were still quite cuddly.
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    What I mean is, they have receive DMCA takedowns and only followed them partially, removing some art but not everything in the particular notice. That's how I interpret the thread so far.

But if Jadin's post here can get some more companies to file DMCA that will be good :) it sounds like IMVU are even more backwards than deviantArt for this though >_>