Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sharkman!

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Heorogar polycounter lvl 10
Hey everyone! Ive been working on this new sculpt for a few days now and I would love to hear what you all think of my progress. I did this all in Sculptris with hope of retopoing in topogun then further details in Zbrush then finally in UDK :)

This is with the new small minute details i addes such as some of the forearms muscle striations

[Image gone]

I am having some issues with topogun if anyone can help me out with that. When i retopo around the belly where the shark body meets the belly and then i check how it sub divides I get this weird jumbled mess.

[Image gone]
Sharkman.jpg

Thanks for taking a look at this for me!

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aside from the seam in the middle (which, if intentional, I'm not too keen on), there's a bit of a break in flow from his belly to the tail. I'd expect that to be more fluid rather than at an angle as it is now.
    There's some cool stuff going on in both shapes and detailing, though! I can't wait to see it retopologised and finished.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    What I have found from working in topogun is there are often artifacts which are shown in their preview which do not show up in the final whatsoever, I have stopped using that preview long ago as my bakes usually come out just find after retopoing in topogun, waiting for that preview to load is almost a waste of time IMO.

For my crit of your work itself, I see no shark within this, either rename it or give him some meanness, His tail reminds me more of seaweed and his head/body doesn't look threatening whatsoever, hope this isn't too harsh for ya
  • Heorogar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heorogar polycounter lvl 10
    Hey everyone!, thank you so much for the crits!

Mightypea: I not sure what you mean by the break in flow :-/ are you saying that from the body into the tail shape is too drastic like the L shape? Also the seam you mentioned is it the one on the sides of the tail to the body or is there a seam going down the middle of my model my poor feeble mind didnt pick up? If its the one on the side it was indeed intentional but I'll erase it and see if I like it smoothed out :).

DDuckworth: Thanks for the crit! And its not to harsh :) infact not harsh enough MUAHAH. Ill just get the topology done and if theres an issue ill just mooth it out in zbrush then(if there even is a issue, damn topogun preview :). As for the shark part i kinda used a tiger shark for the body but took a bit of liberties with it hah and the file name is actually Merman HAH. I will be adding some armor bits and maybe some sort of staff weapon. He does need to look a bit meaner hah.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah I definitely like the title of merman better, more fitting for sure. I'm not sure topogun's preview is anywhere close to what's real, you can make a plane, sculpt a face on it, then place 4 points over that face and topogun will practically make it look like it would work perfectly. Just keep us updated once you get it done!