Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Titan Moon Base

Replies

• sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Love the mood you got going on! The texturing is ace as usual with your stuff to. Gonna be great to see this finished! Mind posting some speculars?
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    amazing work pat!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    Can`t say anything original on my side :P Only BEAUTIFUL ;)
    Great amount of detail and cleaniness. That will be my reference now ;)
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    wow...really loving the textures there - will there be any small tutorials you'll be making in the future? really would love small tips on texturing and modelling..:D Loving your latest texture
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    mkanderson: man, "you make it looks easy" is the best compliment!

sltrOlsson: Here's a diffuse and a specular for the lower floor wall:
    AQ86j.jpg
    The texture doesn't really go to black at the bottom sides; those are just holes in the UV.

ae.: thanks!

Matroskin: Thanks! I've found that despite the clean look, I end up adding a surprising amount of rust and grime.

Jungsik: I'm not sure if I'll be making tutorials, since I haven't done anything particularly weird in this, but I suppose I could share some stuff that helps me. I make everything as modular and changeable as I possibly can, which means using adjustable layers (mostly solid color layers) and masks. This makes adjustment super duper easy. Even when doing grime, I have 4-5 color layers, usually brown, near-black, teal, desaturated yellow-green, off-white, and sometimes grease yellow and purple which means that I can very carefully adjust the amount of crap on my stuff, and even change grime color to better match underlying material colors if those change. This also makes specular work a lot easier, since you can just set each material's specular value by hand, and adjust it on the fly.

On this particular texture I haven't done as much of the grime thing and have relied more on photo-sourced stuff over color layers for variation, though I do have some hand-painted rust and smudgy dirt.

I also organize everything into groups with colors: base (gray), decals (yellow), text (green), grime (orange), AO (blue), and sometimes alpha (red). Using colors is really important because they visually separate different sections, which makes editing really easy because you aren't wasting your time reading through your whole layer stack. I know it sounds trivial but once I started using label colors on it made texturing a lot nicer.

I'm always trying to optimize my workflow to cut down on wasted time, and I think that good organization makes everything a thousand times easier.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    That sounds wonderful, I never thought of it that way, I also try very hard to modulate my workflow so I can get alot done more efficiently - atm I'm working on group project myself and its really starting to pile up - I'll keep in mind to keep everything modular and organized - its gonna start getting really crazy in a few week - thx for the awesome reply ^^ Cant wait for this piece to be finished!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    this looking great man!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Looks lovely. I think the lighting looks a bit too hot and monotone though. Since the base is located in a hot and orange place one would expect it to have cold interior lighting. A colder interior lighting could create some interesting contrasts too.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Great progress, really enjoying seeing it come together and the texture work is great. Whats your process for creating your metals?
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    I don't really know what to say as far as a process goes. I just have a bunch of things I know about metal which I try to keep in mind when I make textures.

Generally, the specular is the most important texture for a metallic object. The diffuse is going to be pretty bland in comparison. Edges are important in metal, and understanding how it gets scratched and damaged is important. I've probably scratched these things a little more than they are likely to have been scratched, but it's still not all the way around every surface. Some things only show up in the specular for metal objects, depending on the finish. This is especially true of stuff like most firearm finishes. I usually try to have some large-scale variation in value across the whole texture, as well. You can see in the texture I posted earlier how some areas are slightly darker. They show up on the diffuse as slightly more teal areas.

For more reflective surfaces, you are going to want to use a cube map for the reflections. A mirror-like material like chrome is going to have a near-black diffuse, and a very high specular value. A colored metal like gold or copper will have a dark or medium brown diffuse, and a specular much closer to the traditional color of the material.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    This is coming together really well! Keep going =)
    Haha, I always wanted to build a level on titan as well :), something about the orange sky is very interesting.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    Keeping an eye on this, developing very nicely