Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Faun character WIP

Hi everyone, I've been looking through people's work on this site for a while now but this is my first post on these forums. I'm currently working on a character for my portfolio and would be grateful for any advice - I'm currently getting the design down before I move onto the modeling, I figure that any input I get from you guys at this stage will be easier to use rather than taking a bad design further.

So here's a summary of the concept - an upgrade of the Greek god, Pan with wiccan influences. That about sums it up :). The two cultures/religions share many similarities which is helpful but at the moment I'm focusing on keeping it female and the element of earth/nature should be a strong theme, other than that, ideas are changeable.

Ok, so this is what I've got so far (sorry for the image dump but I feel the more information I give you, the better idea you'll get of what direction I'm taking with it).

After some rough thumbnails these are some silhouettes I sketched - they reminded me of the fashion design sketches you see, with the stick thin figures:

silhouettes2.jpg

Some basic doodles, just drawing what pops in my head:

sketches3.jpg

These were the first four concepts I had, I prefer the ones without the cape(?), I think you notice how thin the waist is when it's not there:

sketches5.jpg

Then I started to look at possible areas of contrast - I wanted the horns and legs to be the main focal points, and to a lesser degree, the face and hands:

contrasthy.jpg

And these are the designs I have now using that last contrast design as a base:

sketches4.jpg

Well, that's a quick run-down of what I have, I was just wondering what you thought, if there's anything that looks weird or could be improved. I know it's more of a concept post at the moment but I'll be taking this through to a game character so you should hopefully see it develop.

Any questions, just ask, I may have been too vague about some things :)

Replies

• haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Looks interesting so far. I'm getting a Pan's Labyrinth vibe from it which could be cool.
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As above post mentions ! Pans labirint vibe as well ! thats the first thing i wanted to write ! i realy like where this is going !
  • Mattaphylactic
    Sorry for the late reply, this is actually for a uni assignment and other things have just been taking up my time :poly122:.

I'd be grateful I could get some advice on what I've done so far:
    66888492.jpg

30118406.jpg

24694805.jpg

The torso and arms have been elongated slightly. One problem I had though, was trying to match the concept exactly but I couldn't pull off the super skinny torso, which in turn made the arms thicker to make them match. I could make her skinny now I've got something to work with but I'm worried about ruining it.

These are the sorts of colours I think I'll be going for btw

coloury.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazy feet, this will be tough to pull off, but could be great if you do
  • KyleH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello matta

I do enjoy your concepts and I believe you are heading in the right direction surely. A few things i noticed however.

While i understand you are going for wooden feet it feel that if this creature were to try and pick up her feet as they are now her ankle would be too skinny and break with the weight. also it is difficult to tell from the posts you have but i think you should bend the ankle joint further back, like a cats feet. as cat features usually dictates a feminine and elegant looks.

They horns as they are now seem too large, if they are made of would or bone they seem like the would be to unwieldy and possible cause some serious neck aches.

perhaps thinning them and separating them into two separate protrusions

but its heading in the right directiong, keep up the good work.
  • Mattaphylactic
    Cheers for the replies, ZBrush is my weakest area so I'll take all the advice I can get lol.

It's meant to be hair on top of her head if that helps explain away any 'neck-breakages' :poly124:. I've not sculpted hair before, it's mostly done with clay tubes and rake brushes - I tried adding individual strands using this tutorial but got stuck trying to append them to the hair http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/SubTool_Hair_Sculpting_Tutorial .

Thanks for the ankle tip :thumbup:
  • Mattaphylactic
    Is this what you meant?

compcp.jpg
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dannedadon polycounter lvl 11
    looks cool, like the concept images.
    I agree with KyleH about the feet. What i like about them in the concept is that they seem like she could be agile and while they are big in the latest image i could definitely see her walking around without problems, not getting the same feeling from the sculpts. They seem a little bulky, like it would take a little effort to lift them. I also like they way the human legs melt with the tree feet in the concept, feels a bit unnatural in the sculpt.

But looks like a good start, gl hf
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wild design. It looks awkward though.

I think you're trying to force this into looking life-like, when you should be going in the opposite direction and emphasizing the stylized proportions. The first batch of silhouettes looks really good actually, so I'm not sure why you aren't following your initial design. Follow those silhouettes.

Initial impressions: ribcage and breasts are elongated and too wide. Waist should be elongated and narrower, and hips wider. Arms and calves should be thinner. Hair is way too big... the angled version on the top right of the first silhouette sheet looks better.

The color palette also looks very bland, it might be a useful base but add some vivid colors to pop out some focal points.
  • Mattaphylactic
    I had a go at thinning her out more like the concept but I may have made the arms a tad too thin. Also tried to make the feet 'lighter' and thickened up that limb to add a bit of support.

revisionz.jpg
  • Mattaphylactic
    I'd welcome any criticisms before I go on to retopping this, I think it fits the concept better than my last revision (except the feet, which I haven't really detailed yet).

revision2.jpg

revision2a.jpg

revision2b.jpg
  • shoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shoes polycounter lvl 6
    Hey there, I really like your concepts, here's a few ideas:

Maybe a more animal like leg? Like a goat or deer. I think it would read better as a Faun. Or transition from human leg to deer legs towards the root-feet. I think the distance from the knee to the ankle or the ankle to the feet needs to be shorter to balance her better.

You could elongate the fingers and face to be less human and fit with the overall elongated style of the creature.

I think the feet are too bulky too ... here's a quick crappy paintover I did of my thoughts, hope it helps. Gave some variety/asymmetry to the horns and sized down the feet too.

faun_paintover.jpg
  • Mattaphylactic
    Glad you like the design :thumbup:, I got some advice on this the other day (similar to your points actually), suggesting I get back to the concept more.

Do gif files not work on the forums? I'll post a before and after picture to show the small changes. I changed the neck, shoulder joint and waist/chest. Also made the face slightly more pointed, less strong-looking. Like you say, hair and feet still need work.

I tried making the fingers longer, what's the easiest way to do that?

compqb.jpg
  • Mattaphylactic
    I made a little change to the feet seeing as they were the area everyone commented on the most, I think they look more stable but still light enough to be lifted.
    With other work out of the way now I spent today retopologizing, this is what I have - I think I need new sets of eyes on it. The feet are kind of messy atm, I'll finish them tomorrow.

frontwires.jpg
    backwires.jpg
    facewires.jpg
  • Mattaphylactic
    And here's the unwrap as it stands, the remaining space on the UV grid is reserved for the eyes and hair/leaf planes. I've tried to contain any distortion to the back (she'd mainly be seen front-on) and the chest will be covered in leaves like the concept so I'm not too worried about that. Any comments at all would be appreciated.

unwrapped.jpg

uvgrid.jpg
  • Mattaphylactic
    Sorry, I redid the UVs pretty much as soon as I posted that, here is the updated grid - I wasn't liking the seams I was getting around the arms and legs on a normal map and these areas are pretty exposed so I figure this is a better alternative. Space is still reserved for extra bits and bobs.

uvgrid2.jpg
  • Mattaphylactic
    The result in Max with the Xoliul shader:

normaltest.jpg
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a critique for you.

Your normal maps are accomplishing very little, and looking from your sculpted model to your low poly model, there is little difference between them.

Unless you are going for a very minimal approach when it comes to the NM, I would go back and sculpt more, not surface detail, but more secondary details pull and push more shapes.
  • Mattaphylactic
    Cheers for the comment. What do mean by secondary details though? As for fine details I was going to use some overlays and edit the map itself. I'm ok with it being minimal, it's kind of what I was going for with the concept, she's meant to be pretty soft in terms of anatomy. I don't want to be adding extra details just for the sake of it, hope I explained that well.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    He's talking about muscle definition / bulk etc any major bumps / crevices, fine detail is wrinkles / pores etc.
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Raider for clarifying it for me.

Primary detail is the over all shape of the object/character. Silhouette and the like.

Secondary detail is muscle shape and other forms that might not effect the silhouette but are very important.

Thirs... th... Third-ary detail is pores, pimples or anything like that surface detail.
  • Mattaphylactic
    A preview of what I've done so far - mostly been on the diffuse map, once that's done I'll work on the normal map like was suggested and get a specular map done. I'm trying to do get the alpha planes for the hair done atm, hopefully it should be more or less done by this weekend (fingers crossed).

preview1du.jpg
  • tommywomble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your normal map looks like it needs the green channel inverting, the normals make it look a bit special atm
  • Mattaphylactic
    Where about does it look inverted?
  • Mattaphylactic
    I wonder if anyone can answer this question for me - for the skin on the specular map, lots of people seem to invert the skin tone to get a blue-ish colour in order to neutralize the pink and get a more natural specular colour. (I think that's the reasoning behind it, I might be wrong).

Should I do the same on this character and invert the blue? But other people say stick to a black/white spec map and let the environment lights add and colour tints.
  • Mattaphylactic
    An update. All maps still need tweaking and I think I'm going to ditch the emissive around the neck.

update2o.jpg
  • Mattaphylactic
    If anyone has any last-minute suggestions, I'm open to them.

posess.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe try to differentiate the spec between her skin and the wooden/grass parts a bit more? It's looking great.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    She looks great. Kinda alien and ungainly (in a good way!)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Show us a wireframe :)
  • Mattaphylactic
    Wireframe hasn't changed since the shots on the first page :thumbup:

Here's what the textures look like atm, I still need to work on the specular like you said, just seeing if anyone notices something really off with it I suppose, thanks for the comments too :)

(they've been scaled down so you might not see the little details on the diffuse)

draftsheets.jpg