Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(Portfolio) Andrew Boyles - Environment Artist

Hey guys. Starting on some portfolio work and need some C & C for it. I'm always looking to improve as I'm fairly new to 3d. I'm wanting to ultimately become an environment artist for the gaming industry. First off I started making an antique lantern the other day. I'm basing the hi-poly on this reference. The reference doesn't show the handle, but I just looked at other lantern references to fill in the blank. Let me know what you think.

antique-lantern-stephen-anderson.jpg

5392053463_5573c7b7a6_b.jpg

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    So... where is the portfolio?
  • hulkspidy51
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't made really presentable portfolio pieces so I started this thread to get input on what I could improve on while I'm working on them. I should have done this a long time ago, though.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Hey andrew! Welcome to polycount! I think its starting to look like something. So keep up the good work! My only 2 crits is that your shader that you are rendering with is too flat, and toomuch ao. It needs more specular. See about combining 2 specs through a mixer and then adjusting each spec power of each node to where u have one that is very sharp and fine. And nother one that is broad and wide.

My other crit is that ur missing the little holes in the bottom. Those could be done using floating geometry.
  • hulkspidy51
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Raul let me know if this render looks any better. I really couldn't find any tutorials on shaders for maya(doesn't help that I don't know hypershade as well as I should. I couldn't figure out how to do what you were talking about so I used studio lighting instead. Another thought I have on rendering is that if there are so many good tutorials on how to render in 3dsmax, if I should just export an obj file to max and render it in max. I know vaguely my way around max, so that shouldn't be a problem for me. Also, for the floaters, I didn't know how I would go about making them have a subtracting element to give them the look of holes. Did you mean making the floaters so that there is the effect of being pushed in as holes and then later making an alpha mask where the actual holes are going to be? And if so, should I do the same for the holes on top of the lantern, or just model them instead because of them being so big.

5397039307_17d430ede7_b.jpg
    5397039277_d177e5e40a_b.jpg
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    It might be easier to do those little dots in a height map. The current way you have them modelled won't have them displaying very well on a low resolution texture. One of the great things about doing it in the texture also is you have complete pixel control allowing you to really bring out the detail correctly.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    IchII3D wrote: »
    It might be easier to do those little dots in a height map. The current way you have them modelled won't have them displaying very well on a low resolution texture. One of the great things about doing it in the texture also is you have complete pixel control allowing you to really bring out the detail correctly.

since there just floating above and are not embeded in the mesh i think he was intending to bake them into the normal and height map of the main mesh.

and that pluss some AO or just hand drawing them in to be almost black inside should be good.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    passerby wrote: »
    since there just floating above and are not embeded in the mesh i think he was intending to bake them into the normal and height map of the main mesh.

and that pluss some AO or just hand drawing them in to be almost black inside should be good.

I think it's easier to hightmap them to. If you bake that you wont get get god AO any how. Floters don't bake well in AO. And it's a curved shaped and the holes are flat.. It will leave information on the normal map to..