Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ammo box WIP (need crit)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bcottage polycounter lvl 13
What do you guys think of my Ammo box so far?
Just diffuse and AO atm.

r857k3.png

Replies

• Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Color seems a tad bit concentrated, I would tone it down a bit. The handles on the ammo box blend in too well that they are hard to see. Try to contrast the handles and clips with the Base.
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heartless polycounter lvl 8
    Looks good but the text and warning stickers on it seem too distressed to me.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a general rule of thumb ammo boxes are moved around as little as possible.
    Someones getting demoted for keeping their supplies in horrible shape. I'm not sure I would trust the ammo that came out of a water damaged box that was that dinged up, unless I had to.

Also displaying it in ortho view on black background makes it hard to critique. Black hides the silhouette of an object. Ortho robs the object of its perspective and makes it hard to gauge its proportions.

You might want to put an arrow right above the "This way up" lettering, it seems like a logical place and the arrows on the side are hard to see. Maybe just tone down the damage to the lettering and arrows would be enough to make them stand out...

Ammo boxes nomrally have some kind of lettering that tells you what kind of ammo it is, where it belongs and some type of inventory or tracking number. You MIGHT have some of that but honestly I can't tell it could be damage...
    http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/images/product/main/US-40MM-AMMO-BOX.jpg
    http://www.europeanarmysurplus.co.uk/test/images/photos/thumbnails/Hardware/HWEU006-AV-OG.jpg

Too much damage, scratches and wear and you drastically start to drown out details. The "added wear detail" quickly becomes a hazard that hides and disguises the core details, if you're not careful. Save the crazy scratches for your spec map ;)

YOu also need to decide if its metal, wood or plastic. I going to guess wood, because its primer'ed and painted and the surface is soft enough to get damaged and dented a bit like wood does, but its kind of sending mixed signals right now...

Paintover:
    AmmoCrate.gif
  • dekorkh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dekorkh triangle
    Second Dygert especially on the comment about its material. I would say clean it up and go with metal, mostly because the shapes look cast and machined. Add some badass screws to them hinges. make the hinges look like hinges. Check the scale of your handles - they seem too small making this thing look gigantic. Throw in something to suggest the scale... maybe a bullet and a cartridge.