Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Soulis6 / Loren Cargle

Hey all, i'm a senior at an art school right now, getting ready to graduate, and working on projects to fill out my portfolio. I just got my website up and I'm looking for feedback and critiques on both my work and the site/presentation. My focus is props and environments, but no real work experience or anything yet, I'm looking for internships or the like at the moment.

I know I need to get a lot more up on there, and I'll be taking my senior portfolio class soon, but I'd appreciate any advice or feedback, since everyone on here is usually extremely helpful.

www.lorencargle.com

Thanks,
-Loren

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I see a few tweaks that could help improve your some of your pieces a lot.

First, I'll start with your Japanese Bridge the geometry you're using for the snow is much too low poly. There isn't enough form to it, right now it's very angular and doesn't feel much like snow. Also you need to think about where the snow will end up, there should be more snow on top of the top rails and less farther down. I've pulled up a few shots of japanese bridges in snow for examples that could really improve that piece.
    4910764_1aae1b840c.jpg?v=0
    3126508598_33dbce417f.jpg
    Japanese+blog+2.jpg

Your crate with the metal box looks good, but there's one thing that's killing it for me, the cloth. The edge of the cloth is too perfect and straight, if you were to break up the edge a little more it would look a lot better. Also, a few strategically placed wrinkles will also help sell it.

Your rifle feels like it's 50% what I feel it really needs is to be pushed all the way to 100% with the texturing, your wood is too subtle and doesn't read as wood, it almost feels like plastic.

I would rework the lighting on your chinatown building, it looks like it's supposed to be day light, but the glow feels like it should be night.

The textures on your shrine are good, but I feel like it's a pretty dead scene, that needs more going on, more props, to really bring it to life.

Oh, and I'll see you on Wednesday next week, when we start class.
  • sbnewsom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its not a bad portfolio. Very minimalistic. I think it could do with a two toned logo that represents you. Also I would recommend making your email address click-able just like the linkin link. Also on my browsers, the website sort of looks off center. I'm guessing that's because you made the website aligned to the left. Try to get it centered to adapted to the browsers of whoever will view it. This usually can be done by setting your table to center and not "text-center".

A web designer nitpick here, but using Tables is an outdated feature. This isn't a problem any potential employers will have, but it could provide some problems with cross-browser information. I would suggest learning up on <DIV>'s (Dividers).

Thats all the suggestions I have at the moment. The portfolio work is quite nice. The strongest pieces are the second, third, and fourth ones. The level on the fifth one seems a little unfinished. The first one is nice, but I feel like the wood texture could of been better chosen.

Take care,
    Brad
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Like sbnewsom just said, the portfolio isn't bad at all :). It's clean like it should be. :thumbup: Now, it's time to make more impressive and "hard-to-copy" contents! :) Watch some advanced tutorials so you can really get higher quality works.
    If you're familiar with HTML, you can use my web tool here:
    http://leminhnhat.com/web/
    This will generate a basic valid HTML code. Your page will be at the center and you can change some settings with the CSS to make your very own design.
    Good luck! :)