Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ChronoTrigger homage.

So after not doing 3D for , well lets say its so long i dont remember when was the last time, i decided to startup my maya and do something.

And jumping around 666 projects and scratching everything from almost complete to barely started works.

Problem is i havent had actual real inspiration and that litle shiny light u have when u create something in 3D. Up until now.

I finnaly "found" ( remembered) my flame.

The actual reason why i got into 3D is Squares Chrono Trigger and FF´s cutscenes / storys.

So heres my homage to Chrono trigger.

Will see how many of the environments i can do.

Note that some things are missing ! for now.... !

67987069.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Update 1 - Lowpoly

Well i decided to go for a Gaming version. and cleaned up my pollys and lowerd it all down !

Here you can see the results ! Thanks for the comments !

And i am aware of the beds position ! il change it later !

Edit : oops i forgot to switch to orto !

And also what do you think about a textured version of it using that floor, im painting my textures atm, and have no real clue what to go with for the texturing of the floor, cant make out what material that is realy.. it looks like a carpet, but not att the same time.

roomwg.jpg

Update 2 - Ortographic view

I updated it with ortographic view.

roomsl.jpg

Update 3 - UV

Allright, got a litle sparetime since i woke up for this again ! Uv´d the whole room, making sure most of the things possible, share space.

94461954.jpg

Replies

• keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like a really solid start. What is your target? Games, stills, film?
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heartless polycounter lvl 8
    Looks good. The bed looks a little big though.
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres wrote: »
    Looks like a really solid start. What is your target? Games, stills, film?

Well right now im aiming to complete a scene and see where i go from there.

What i wold like to do atm is make it into a fully functional demo.

Altho im not fully sure if im capable of that level of devotement.

Will be using UDK for the buildup, am currently searching for a nice texturing style that should fit the 3D version.
  • sbnewsom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robbyh wrote: »
    Well right now im aiming to complete a scene and see where i go from there.

What i wold like to do atm is make it into a fully functional demo.

Altho im not fully sure if im capable of that level of devotement.

Will be using UDK for the buildup, am currently searching for a nice texturing style that should fit the 3D version.

Well you should figure it out now because each area has a very different process to making it work correctly. Gaming will require you to work around lowpoly models and relying on normal maps for the detail. Film won't really limit you in terms of polys but the lower it is without sacrificing detail, the faster the render would be.

Stills on the other hand really isn't a problem. The only outcome is the rendering, which most likely will be a couple of high resolution stills.

Right now, like you said, you want to have a playable demo. Right away a lot of the objects in the room have an unnecessarily high polycount. The back cushion for the chair, the ball end of the staircase, the blanket on the bed, maybe the lamp, and maybe the pot.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would bring the width of the stairs much closer to that of the original. Right now it looks somewhat out of place to have such ridiculously wide steps leading up to such a small room!
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    I would bring the width of the stairs much closer to that of the original. Right now it looks somewhat out of place to have such ridiculously wide steps leading up to such a small room!

That wold be the current camera angle and FOV, and i had not decided fully if it will be a still shot or a ingame, im currently not sure what path im taking thats why i decided to make it first and see where i go from there !

sbnewsom wrote: »
    Well you should figure it out now because each area has a very different process to making it work correctly. Gaming will require you to work around lowpoly models and relying on normal maps for the detail. Film won't really limit you in terms of polys but the lower it is without sacrificing detail, the faster the render would be.

Stills on the other hand really isn't a problem. The only outcome is the rendering, which most likely will be a couple of high resolution stills.

Right now, like you said, you want to have a playable demo. Right away a lot of the objects in the room have an unnecessarily high polycount. The back cushion for the chair, the ball end of the staircase, the blanket on the bed, maybe the lamp, and maybe the pot.

Ahh , yes im aware of the polycounts, it started of as more or less a still shot and branched into a dual project, one where i its good for me to work my way back to my normal skills and the second where i will turn this into a working demo, and if i do it will probably be cut down a bit on the poly levels for sure ! thanks for the heads up !
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably switching the camera to ortho view would get it closer to the original version. I agree that the stairs are too wide, and the hole in the floor needs to be roughly square.
  • sbnewsom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the biggest issue is that the original looks like a cozy small room. In your model, it looks very spacey. Like what has been suggested, switch to orthographic just so you can at least match the dimensions of the room and get a better idea of how big the items are. Already I can see that the bookshelf is too far from the bed.

Also the top left angled wall seems to need to be a bit more angled.

With this applied to the other suggestions, I think it could look great. :)
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This happend already:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Resurrection

""image""

But since Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest RPGs I've ever had the luck to discover, I'd have to wish you goooood luck.

Yes i know ! ive seen it alot of times, followed that project alot my self and checked its progress from time to time until it got a C&D note.

im using their design style a little as to get some inspiration sometimes for things i dont realy see the full design or do it my self instead !

The only thing i disliked a litle about it was the collor choice of it, it looked so happy imho, a bit to Dragonball -ish style. And im not realy into that style more than playng a DBZ game and beeing like : hey its cool !

Then again im doing this as a small demo, since im working alone ! And my progress on the actual demo wont be released upp until ive completed it and released it. So i cant recieve a C&D for something that doesnt exist ( with evidence atleast - more than in a 3D program for illustration purposes).
  • sbnewsom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, excellent update! It looks 100x better! Can't wait to see more progress. :)
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you mean playable demo? Because that sounds like an awful idea. But if you got the skilss, go for it, I guess. Don't let it be your quick sand, though.

Quick question, why wold this be a bad idea ? Just wondering
    Woldnt it be fun to play even a small 5 min version of this game on todays 3D standard ? i for one wold gladly pay 100 dollars for a copy. since its well worth it :poly142:
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevermind. Now that you mention that you'd pay 100 for IP that doesn't legally belong to the developer, I gotta say, that's probably a great idea. :poly142:

Full steam ahead.

hmm what do you mean not legaly belong to the dev ? i was talking about if the original was remade by Square. ( not realy liking square enix ) , if you misunderstood me !
    And i know a couple more that wold gladly pay a few extra bucks for a remade version of that game, its to much of a cult clasic not to own it if it comes out !

But on a fanmade version, i woldnt pay for it. Sorry to say i dont see the point if the money doesnt go to the original creators.

Anyway, whats with that comment ? Squenix quote.
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heartless polycounter lvl 8
    Robbyh wrote: »
    a bit to Dragonball -ish style. And im not realy into that style more than playng a DBZ game and beeing like : hey its cool !
    When remaking a game who's art was done by Akira Toriyama, The more "Dragonball-ish style", the better.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea when you don't like Akira Toriyama's style then you're very thankful the game was on the system it was. Honestly if it had come out later all the awesome gameplay mechanics and story line would of been drown out by the terrible art... and I would of had a hard time playing it.

The scene is looking great, the ortho camera really helps for that kind of stuff, once you get it all sized up in ortho the pers camera looks a lot better.
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im fully aware hes the one that did it, and while i like dbz 8 bit version, the normal version isnt that.. nice .
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated UV mapps. In before the actual hard part.

Texturing next up !