Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Red Riding Hood Environment WIP

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
Hey folks,

I've decided to have a go at making my first environment for my portfolio.

I'm following the concept below (I don't know who did it, but credit to the guy... It's amazing work).

I've completed the high poly as far as I think I need to go, now I'm working on the low poly and I'm after crit on the whole project so fire away! I'll update regularly to let you know where I'm at.

Here goes..

The concept (found on Google).
ghconcept.jpg

High Poly - complete?
HouseHP_complete.jpg

I know I need to clean up the faces a bit (especially on the house itself) to reduce the triangle count, remember this is a progress shot :)
RRH_lowPoly_progWire.jpg

Smoothed.
RRH_lowPoly_prog.jpg

Appreciated.

Replies

• elyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice dude not a bad start, the only thing i would suggest is to maybe bring out the wooden piece on the bottom of the house a little more.
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    I don't think I'll get mistakes on the normal map, maybe I'm mistaken?

Can you suggest a way to get around this?

If you check the low poly screenshot you can see how I've set up the roof ready for the bake.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    P I don't think I'll get mistakes on the normal map, maybe I'm mistaken?

Can you suggest a way to get around this?

Are you using Maya? Just auto map your UVs and try transfer maps real quick.

Looking cool by the way.
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Are you using Maya? Just auto map your UVs and try transfer maps real quick.

Looking cool by the way.

Thanks man, no I'm using Max but I'll use flatten mapping (the Max equivalent I think) real quick now and try it that way, I'll post image up when it's done.
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Here is the normal test with flatten mapping in Max, obviously some errors as I'm still only a small amount through the low poly.

houseTestNormal.jpg

Thoughts and suggestions?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Have you thought about tiling textures?
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    cholden wrote: »
    Have you thought about tiling textures?

I'm not entirely sure how to do them, you know any good tutorials related to tiling textures and UDK?
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    A-N-P wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure how to do them, you know any good tutorials related to tiling textures and UDK?

What you map in your modeling program will retain its UV's when imported into UDK. So you make a tiling texture, stick it into the Max material, apply material onto your model. Then map it like any other tiling texture within Max, until you have something you like. Export the object, and import into UDK. In UDK, assign the material to your mesh, and voila, tiled texture on your object!
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    alexk wrote: »
    What you map in your modeling program will retain its UV's when imported into UDK. So you make a tiling texture, stick it into the Max material, apply material onto your model. Then map it like any other tiling texture within Max, until you have something you like. Export the object, and import into UDK. In UDK, assign the material to your mesh, and voila, tiled texture on your object!

Thanks Alex, does this mean I'd have to import the house and the roof sections as separate meshes and fit them together in UDK?
  • Drumonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P wrote: »
    Thanks Alex, does this mean I'd have to import the house and the roof sections as separate meshes and fit them together in UDK?

I know from working in Maya to UDK, if I was doing this house, I'd be able to apply 2 different materials (one for roof, one for rest of house) to the mesh, and so long as they were both on the mesh when I exported, in UDK it actually had 2 texture channels, so you can plug in the 2 seperate textures. I'm not sure how this works with max but there should be a way.
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Drumonman wrote: »
    I know from working in Maya to UDK, if I was doing this house, I'd be able to apply 2 different materials (one for roof, one for rest of house) to the mesh, and so long as they were both on the mesh when I exported, in UDK it actually had 2 texture channels, so you can plug in the 2 seperate textures. I'm not sure how this works with max but there should be a way.

Yeah I think the way to do this in max is something to do with sub-materials. I'll look into it tonight.

Thanks for the tip.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Drumonman wrote: »

Yup this works with Max to UDK as well. In Max, use a multi-sub material for your object. A note: In UDK, material ID 0 (zero) represents material ID 1 in Max. You don't need to import your house seperately, but you can if you want to reuse pieces. But in your case, you can just import the entire house together. Select all of the house peices in Max, export it out, and it will import as one static mesh in UDK
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah that's the one. So for one ID in Max I'd have the house (excluding the roof) textured and in another ID I'd have a tiling texture for the roof? And apply these in UDK right?
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Well, I decided not to go with the tiling texture as it looks fine as it is. Unwrapping is complete along with normal and AO. Here's a new update image with normal and basic diffuse in place to show where textures will go.

Texturing_baseDIFF.jpg
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Been working some more on the house and I think it's safe to say that it's nearly complete, aside from some slight grunge on the concrete and roof tiles. I've also imported into UDK and roughed out some basic terrain and camera angles, (ignore the texture on the terrain btw, it's a place holder.)

Once the texture work is complete I'll jump right in and start on the items in the foreground. (trees, rocks, fence etc.)

Any crit welcome.

UDK_SceneProgress2.jpg
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Big update here. Got quite a bit of work done since my last post.

These include:
    • Sculpted one of the three large trees.
    • Used SpeedTree for the foliage
      and smaller tree
      and will do for the ones in the background.
    • Sculpted the rocks in the foreground.
    • Sculpted a tile-able wall and placed it in the scene.
    • Set up some WIP DOF and bloom effects.
    UDK_SceneProgress4.jpg

Things to do:
    • Fix the lighting issue on the wall in the background.
    • Create the arch for the background.
    • Sculpt the other 2 large trees.
    • Use SpeedTree for the trees in the background.
    • Create grass and more foliage to place around the scene.
    • Fix the lighting issue on the SpeedTree models.
    • Finalise the lighting, DOF and bloom.
    I'm sure there will be more added as I go on ^ :P

Any feedback appreciated.