Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

untitled udk level

Hey guys i've been building this level trying to go for a blade runner theme it is a WIP. I'm trying to work out on the gameflow and look, right now i was doing a quick pass of models that i did to see what it might look like. I was unsure if the method of doing things were right, and wondered if you guys had some advice. Heres a quick rundown of my level.

Climate: 65 degrees, light rain

Backstory: Due to the overpopulation of this major city on an island they have been forced to build upward. Different classes are separated by large platforms stacking on one another. Here in this part of the city is where immigrants and the poor live, where some criminals live.

Gametype: Team Deathmatch, Deathmatch

Blockout Runthrough: (sorry for the low fps)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPHnYJlzt6c[/ame]

Top view within UDK:
topview.jpg

Building Asset:
building_assets.jpg
Right now i was making these buildings in separates pieces so i could later reuse them to make some modular buildings with still keeping the same look and all. C&C is gladly appreciated, Thanks guys!

Replies

• keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    I suggest posting an assortment of images instead of a low quality video. Other than that, the only thing I have to suggest is to weld some of those vertices in the window. It'd reduce the tris count a little. Here in this pic I only did it for the top of the window, but I suggest welding some in the ledge that is place right above each middle window. Good luck with your project.

picdz.jpg
  • elyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks keres, for the advice as well as the luck =P but i will update this every so often maybe it will help others to learn off my mistakes
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    if u r planning to do a DM map then i would say your layout is still unfinished.
    It is hard to judge the map layout if u dont have all the gameplay in it including pickups, bots etc.
    Making a rough lighting (only gameplay related features for now) would help as well.

I'd say u could first finish up the layout, make it playable, cook it and release it to the public (beyondunreal, unrealplayground etc). Gather feedbacks, make changes if needed. That way it will be more useful learning experince.

Also the floorplan u have kinda does not feel like a city enviro. Industrial or sci-fi would work better imo.

Making entire building is not helping in this case either. If it all will be architecture then the modular approach will be better (like the original UT3 is built).
  • elyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright yeah, i've been meaning to playtest this but i never did put the weapons within it, but i'll defiantly try distributing it out online.

and i'm trying to keep it sci-fi right now but i'm just doing this layer first before i get to the other stuff to put on top, i'm trying to go for a blade runner feel