Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Greevar's WIPs

Replies

• greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Okay, for my next project I was inspired to make a mage's staff based on Hawke's staff in the Dragon Age 2 demo. I'm thinking about implementing some or all of the elements in my references into this staff.

magestaffref.png

My initial thoughts are to use some type of blunt (like the Ulas in the top left or the meat hammer on the bottom left) on one end of the staff and a blade or spear like weapon on the other end (like the daggers). The shaft I was thinking of using a sort of leather scale wrap rather than the generic wrapping or plain wood you see on generic fantasy style weapons.

My first idea is to put the bottom right dagger on the bladed end, the Ula on the other, wrap it in leather scale, and where the character grips the weapon, a hand guard that resembles the blade of the meat hammer for up close and personal decapitation. Thoughts?

PS: EQ I darkened the wood spec on the barrel. It looks better now.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!

Here's a silhouette of my weapon:

dastaffrender.png
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No crits? Am I being shunned now or is everybody busy? :poly122:
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Well, I mean, it's just a silhouette. It looks cool. I can tell it's a weapon.
    Perhaps, if you want comments at the silhouette stage, maybe make several small thumbnails of possible shapes, and ask which one you should do. There isn't so much to comment on, at this stage.

Anyway, I'd say go ahead! It looks really nice, I think.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I see. I'm just boring! :D
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Hahaha, not my point! I don't think it's boring. It just isn't horrible or breathtaking enough for people to stop and comment. I think I'd take that as a confirmation to continue. Unless, of course, you know how to make one of these weapons breathtaking just because of the silhouette, haha. Very hard to do.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's already modeled to the point where I feel ready to UV map it. So back to the laboratory I guess! MWAHAHAHAHA! :poly130:
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    what I like to do, is to split a new panel for a text window and throw all the recieved crits in there like a checklist. then slip into the Blendar Art Zone(tm) consciously applying them
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Haha Greevar you're not boring...just keep going. Nothing to critique yet tbh! It's all fine right now. Throw some textures on it and the c&c shall begin ;)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    if you really want a crit, ok then my arm is twisted :)

I'd have to say I wouldn't pick this weapon if I was entering some kind of fight and there were a bunch of weapon racks around the place.. This one looks like it would do me more harm than the enemy. just imagine doing some fancy spinny spear moves and it rotates just a little bit.. the handle axe thing is going to cut your hands or arms

one other thing, I wonder if the blade prongs look a bit weak? something that comes out and bends at a right angle doesnt seem like it would stand up to as much force

but then, maybe its ceramonial or something :)
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Based on Rooster's advice, I've decided to revise my design. Let me know what you think.

dastaffrender2.png
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I liked it before better, personally. NOW it is boring, haha.
    I don't know, I imagined the last incarnation to be quite a good weapon. Slicey-stab! You know?
    This one is just stab-stab....stab.... Boring.
    I don't know, let's see what others have to say- because this really does boil down to personal taste.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I think, instead of removing the middle blade, you should shift some things around, so it's more like a halberd.

MedievalHalberd.jpg

Also grab a lot of reference to see what shapes could be functional, shouldn't hurt.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    I liked it before better, personally. NOW it is boring, haha.
    I don't know, I imagined the last incarnation to be quite a good weapon. Slicey-stab! You know?
    This one is just stab-stab....stab.... Boring.
    I don't know, let's see what others have to say- because this really does boil down to personal taste.

You mean stab-stab-WHAM! :D

That club on the end isn't just for show.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah Snaders right, halberds are awesome.. I don't think you need to go simpler per se, just that generally these things have a long pole for you to handle and a big sharp arrangement on the end- its unusal to put the big spiky thing on the handle :)
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, what I am aiming for is something similar to Hawke's staff in the DA2 demo. The one he carries when running from the darkspawn. I liked the idea that a staff could be more than a conduit for magic. I want to minimize the "weaponess" of it so it doesn't look too far removed from the fact that it's intended to be a staff. I'm thinking I should look at more examples of other staves to figure out what direction to take this.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time, no post! I've finally been up to working on this again. I have a new design that I feel is a far cray better than my previous attempts. Let me know what you think.

dastaffrender3.png