Home Technical Talk

Hiding pieces on a rigged and animated mesh for interchangeability

RezNik
triangle
Offline / Send Message
RezNik triangle
Ok, so the project has shifted to 2D. I need to break up and animate several character meshes so their clothing and skin tones can be interchangeable on a sprite sheet.

On a side note this is the first time Ive ever had to rig a character, so Im sure I am missing something

Im using 3ds max 2011 the models have already been skinned and animated using a biped system.

How do I hide a piece of clothing to render to a sprite sheet without breaking the biped system in place.

I tried adding an editPoly above the skin modifier and hiding pieces that way, but to no avail..... still renders out the whole mesh.
Ive also tried rendering selected only in the render frame, still no dice

Any advise?

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you need to take off just a piece of her clothing? You probably should have made the removable clothing separate objects so you can just hide and unhide as you see fit. If you have a skin modifier on the mesh adding anything on top of the stack will mess with your skin modifier.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ what he said.

Separate meshes and using the layers will help significantly. Just have to skin weight every separate object on its own, which isn't too bad.
  • RezNik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RezNik triangle
    Thanks guys!

I figured out a work around... doing it the long way of course.
    Ive added an editPoly on top of the stack and deleted what I dont want to be rendered. When im done I delete the modifier then do another piece of clothing. Back and fourth, back and fourth. This is for the prototype, so things should go smoother later.