Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Iron Horse

Hi guys! This would be my first post on these forums although I've been looking at some of the great stuff on here for a while now.

This is my first ever completed model, I'm still in school working on the in's and out's of CG. Attached are screencaps of the aforementioned completed game model, rendered in the marmoset toolbag engine. The poly count including the ground and the particles is 16,846 tri and excluding ground and particles is 15900 tri.
screencap118-3.jpg
screencap118-2.jpg
screencap118.jpg
screencap118-4.jpg
screencaps4.jpg

Concept by Nanya of Deviantart:
grill_horse_by_nanya-d30fec0.jpg

Criticism is welcomed! Thanks :thumbup:

-T.W.

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah, nice concept! I think you pulled it off pretty well too, although things did come out very dark in the screenshots. So much so that it's sort of hard to give feedback to, haha. One thing that jumps out though: the body seems overly soft. Ofcourse, that's what a horse looks like for the most part, but I'm not talking about the skin so much, I'm talking about more harsher lines etc. where muscles push up against eachother and overlap.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Overall very nicely followed on the concept, the particle effects really bother me, it looks like you used the magazine type filter on all of them or whatever it is that creates those dots, comic book like look to them. It looks to me you used the varga hair tutorial for the fur and it looks okay but too rough and thick for this, or at least the ends are too freyed, something is just off... But for your first cg piece I am rather impressed, the polycount could be a lot lower, namely on the metal pieces, especially the area under the light, that is FAR too many poly's. After optimizing this piece would make for a good portfolio piece, keep it up!
  • Tim.Y.T.Wang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I'm sorry guys, I had thought this post didn't go through when it didn't show up after I pressed submit. Thanks for the critics! I did indeed use the varga hair tutorial and for some reason I just can't get rid of the dots in the particles when rendered in Marmoset Toolbag.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    Modelling=Top-Notch

Particles=need some attention. I know this is difficult to do in a renderer. See if you can get into a game engine and use the engine's particle system. I find these much easier to work with than modelling softwares.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    I second (or third or fourth?) whats been said about the particles but on the whole for your very first model, this is seriously good. Keep this up and its scary to think where you'll be in a year...
  • Tim.Y.T.Wang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'll definitely plug it into UDK this weekend and see what happens there. Hopefully I'll get a better result with the particles haha
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude that looks crazy, nice work!
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    I guess this is the reason I've never rode a horse before :)
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    The particles 'dots' look like screenspace stippling for cheaper alpha.

Does marmoset have a "No Alpha Cutout" or "Soft Alpha" material type?

Alternatively you might try enabling anti-aliasing? Many engines will swap to use alpha-to-coverage if AA is enabled...looks nicer.

Don't know Marmoset well, just speaking from general experience....
  • Tim.Y.T.Wang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Doughnut Thanks!

@Rhoutermans I never rode one either haha

@cman2k That might be the cause of my particle issues. However Marmoset only allowed me to have the particles transparent if I switch on the Alpha to Coverage option, which results in the dots. If I don't switch that option on, my grids remain opaque. I'll look for an anti-aliasing option though. Thanks a lot!