Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[udk] Collapsed Sewer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Striff polycounter lvl 18
Been working on this Environment for a little while. I would love to get some feedback. Everything is right out of UDK. Minor color correction in Photoshop. Would love come C&C!

i41iqa.jpg

nwghlg.jpg

2dkiloo.jpg

ejy539.jpg

149tke8.jpg

15ua1y.jpg

Replies

• Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Looks pretty cool so far!

I think the lighting isn't really working out though, it doesn't feel underground at all at the moment, feels like the whole scene is outside in bright daylight.
    Even with that big hole and light shaft coming in, there should be a more discernible difference between the area lit by the sun, and not. I'd probably turn some of those side lights off (broken maybe?), lower the general light in the tunnel, it would create a much more interesting contrast (but yeah, it's not always easy to control what lightmass does).

The road piece feels a bit strange, it's hard to believe it's still holding on I think, such a big chunk, and it's color is very monochromatic, feels like their could be more dirt-like colors on it's underside.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    i would take it in this direction

sewercopy.png

also, the sewer ceiling looks a bit strange with these rocks, normally there would be concrete or something like that
  • Arac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arac polycounter lvl 8
    Looks good, but it doesn't really feel like a sewer. Like Bal mentioned, I would really work on the lighting and try to create some contrast between the sunlight and interior lights. Maybe give the interior lights a light blue color, or vice versa, so you get that cool Orange/Blue thing going.

sewer.jpg

Other than that I feel like the scene is a bit too chaotic at the moment, and I have a hard time focusing on the total picture. Sewers in general are pretty bland, so I would lose the rocks and tiles and go for simple bricks or concrete.

I would also randomize the placement of the ivy and add more of it where there's more sunlight, because I doubt it would grow in a sewer. Maybe add some moss instead of ivy in dark places.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Heh, I had a feeling this is what it'd look like from reading the title. I just started working on my next scene which happens to be a collapsed sewer but with a twist.

Your piece is well made but the lighting is too much. I doubt it'd flood in so much from such a tiny hole. Could you post wireframes? I'd love to see them.

One more thing, I noticed a water particle effect coming from the pipes. How did you achieve that because that's something I'm going to have to do. Thanks.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    texture and model work r looking awesome here imo.

The lighting is still kinda weak point in this scene i think.
    The "darkness" and light spot sill could be tweaked but major thing i find is the fact that god rays are NOT parallel.
    Don't forget that they are cast by the sun which produces parallel rays (as for human scale perception of course). Otherwise it looks like there is a huge lamp bulb outside the sewer ;)

Well, and the hanging road piece is kinda too rounded... Could have some more shard edges with rebars or something like that.
    Also when its handing like that without touching the ground feels a bit unrealistic.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is awesome, i really really like the direction this is being taken in, something alittle different. Really good work. I do agree with SnowinChina his version has more depth and creates more focus in the scene.

Great work.
    Is the tire intersecting with the wooden palette?
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    This looks really really bright for being underground. It's really lacking contrast as well as feeling that everything is really saturated. Arac and snowinchina really have some good direction that this could be going in. You need to also distribute the ivy in places that would naturally get the most light. These plants aren't going to grow with no sunlight.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys. I have experimented with making it darker, its just hard to balance it to the point where you can still see stuff and still make it have a lot of contrast.
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd pretty much agree with the sentiment that it's too bright and it's hard to focus on anything right now. It's a shame because the texturing and modeling itself looks to be done quite well. While it may not give the most visibility to all your work, more contrast in the lighting (really lessen the ambient and focus your keys) would bring up the overall image quality immensely.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    How come the pipes aint busted?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's something that's really bothering me about the scene...

HdvB8.jpg
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Hello red pipe, how are you doing today? I agree red pipe you should desaturate yourself. You are making to much noise in this scene. Can you please keep it down and not disturb the rest of the objects around you? Thank you.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm... I'm going to have to disagree with this. As you can see... this entire scene is fairly desaturated to begin with, and those pipes are a welcomed colour. Now... the problem is I think you need something to balance the scene resting at the bottom. You kinnndaa have something happening with those red cola cans, but I think you need something bigger, maybe sharing the same red as the pipes since I think that is a great prominent colour to keep.

Also, the red pipes do in fact lead the eye to maybe ONE of the focal points, even though it seems like you rather showcase the bottom of scene which makes sense.

So I'd try and introduce more of that nice red at the bottom, be it a torn up couch (alot of work) or maybe a red barrel (although sounds generic) i think it would help balance out this scene and allow you to guide the viewers to both the caved in road with your pipes, then have it follow down to the bottom of the scene with another eye catching prop / colour.

This is the new "next gen", where colour is both allowed and appreciated :P haha

Nicely done striff
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    i do love the scene and the colours you have going there:)...but the light shining down from the hole hurts my eyes a bit
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Red, as a color, is really attracts peoples attention, a little goes a long way. I've always been told to use a little red to bring attention to areas that may get overlooked.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Interesting scene, i'm in agreement with most the crits here.

Something you may want to consider for textures is to keep your levels tight and consistent with the rest of your textures. The pipes as mentioned are very overpowering and I noticed the same effect with some other assets.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I have to agree with the light being to little "sewery".

Something that bothered me a bit is how the asphalt that is hanging down from the street above, have a pretty much clean cut. It doesn't feel broken.. And I think it should be more chunks from it.

The roof feels kinda strange to, i think it should share the walls texture and structure.

I really like the scene and the direction you are going, keep it up!
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    The water looks awesome, love the foam.

I'm not really feeling the way the floor has caved in, it looks too lumpy, the concrete should break into more angular pieces. The scene feels too bright and the hexagonal floor seems too complicated for a sewer. The ground also feels a bit thin above, there must only be a foot or so of actual bedrock separating tarmac and air. Perhaps more debris also around the cave-in section.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I think you have way too much light in the scene and its flattening the image out. I would look at having a harsher direct light coming through the hole and then use the bounce off of that to provide a little ambient. The area the light is hitting should be pretty hot with a slightly sharp edge to the transition. Then there should be a lot of stuff in dark shadow where you can only sort of make out surface texture and the reflected light becomes a larger component of what you see.

Its hard when you make a bunch of cool assets to not fall into the trap of trying to light everything.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Love your work. The lights are a little strong, and the pipe is a wee bit too red, but I actually enjoy the contrast between the parts that are saturated in color and desaturated. The model and texture work is excellent, this piece is a nice little motivator to me. I agree with toning down the light (though not as much as SnowinChina suggests, personal opinion) and reducing the "HEY LOOK AT ME IM A PIPE" Effect.

Awesome work!
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    quick paintover: paintover.jpg
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with snowinchina and alecmoody the scene needs more contrast. Your modeling and texture work is awesome. I really enjoy the octo-tiles, they make the scene unique. The red and green complimentary colors make the scene a little cartoony but thats not a bad thing. Also I want to follow the red pipes behind the fallen ceiling to see where they go.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so I updated some of the lighting. I am not happy with the lighting on the ceiling, that will be changed in the future.

01.jpg
    02.jpg
    03.jpg
    04.jpg
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    The scene looks really good so far. I agree with what Jason said, you need something at the bottom to balance it out.

The water is interesting but doesn't really convince me that it is indeed water. Throw a slight reflection on it and some specularity, maybe normals to make it look like it's moving. Chris Albeluhn has a great water shader which you could borrow some ideas from.

I think you should tone down the god rays. They look nice but are too overused, make them subtle.

Your rocks on the side of the water look noisy at the moment. I can't tell at these angles if it's the texture resolution being too low or just too much noise in the diffuse. Also, the collapsed road doesn't look too convincing. I'm not entirely sure how a roadway would collapse but I don't think it would break off in one solid piece. It seems like it is hanging there but I can't exactly see how.

Alec Moody's paintover has some great ideas I think you could pull from. Right now the whole thing is very bright from a pretty small hole. You could create a lot of interest pulling in pockets of light, some flooding in from the hole in the road above and some created by the light fixtures. Not everything in the shot has to be seen so clearly (Take a look at Jason's Demon Throne Environment and look at the progress and how he uses contrast to draw the viewer's eye). Perhaps you should forgo the idea of sun pouring in and pull in some blue ambient light and contrast that with the yellow from the light fixtures. (an example)

Other than that, you've got some really good texture work and models in here. There's a lot going on and I enjoy coming up with a story for the scene. I love the vines and the colour they add and I'm a big fan of the red pipes. Great job so far.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you disagree with Alec's paintover, say so, but I'm dissapointed you didn't go in that direction. There's much I like about this scene, but his paintover takes it much further, adding contrast and a focal point. As it stands, even your most recent update lacks punch because it's all quite equally lit, which for an underground environment with daylight peaking through a hole seems very strange.

If you do end up going in the direction of that paintover, one alteration I would make is to keep the coloured shadows you have now.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    MightyPea wrote: »
    If you disagree with Alec's paintover, say so, but I'm dissapointed you didn't go in that direction. There's much I like about this scene, but his paintover takes it much further, adding contrast and a focal point. As it stands, even your most recent update lacks punch because it's all quite equally lit, which for an underground environment with daylight peaking through a hole seems very strange.

If you do end up going in the direction of that paintover, one alteration I would make is to keep the coloured shadows you have now.

+1 ;)
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    +2 and watch that red pipe ;)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I agree with the paintover, it gives the viewer a visual key as to where the most interesting part of the shot is. It also brings a nice contrast to the scene. Other than that, really nice modeling and texture-work. *thumbs up*
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I think what bothers me the most about the scene is the composition in terms of what props you chose as well as decorative elements.

When i look at the scene i get no sense of history to the scene, i see alot of props and textures which individually look good but as a whole do not work.

- The rough shapes of the ceiling of the sewer and the sides the water drain makes it look too natural,sewers are a man made things, so rough looking rock takes away from this look. When you add debris from the road above it makes it all look too messy and it takes away focus from the roof collapse which seems like it's the area which is going to draw your eye. i think you would be better served by making the sides of the water way and roof out of brick. the human made shapes and look would give these elements better contrast from the debris from the road. I just relooked at the scene and i didnt even notice a drainage pipe in the water,it got lost in all of the details of the rock.

- The decoartive elements bother me as well. sewers are where all of the filth and trash from society is drained down to. The blue paint on the walls as well as the floortiles give you the impression that the sewer is in someway supposed to be visuailly pleasing to the human eye when most sewers are as functional as can be,if your intention however is to have a stylized sewer in terms of its design then you need to up it a notch. at the moment it just looks plain confusing.

- the color on the pipes do not bother me but the amount of spec does,when i think shiny i think clean.

-the ivy as well,if you want to have some limit the amount you have to the areas where light potentially could hit it. if you limit the amount you have to those aread it will furthur point the eye towards that area?

-same for the grass,limit its use to the areas with light. personally the only growth id put is mold and thats about it.

- how did the hole happen? maybe some sort of visual clue to how it occurred would help the scene?

-the hanging cables look odd too,wouldnt it look better to have them attached to the wall?

i think you could do a little more to give the sewer more of a sense of history,like what about a waterline on the walls showing how far the water has risen in this sewer? Maybe more sludge on all of the assets inside.

aside from that i agree with most of the other crits.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    solid job man. I really enjoy it.
    I'll have to agree that the lighting seems wrong. Not to confuse with not pretty, which it definitely isn't. It looks good and I can understand why you want to stick with it. But it doesn't mean it shouldn't have logic.
    And in that case my only advice to you would be to make the hole in the ceiling wider. A lot wider. You could also add random props hanging from the top. This way this strong ambient lighting will ring true. But there's still the question of composition open. If you want to have a proper focal point I guess you'll have to come up with something in the background.
    Though I've got to say that you don't really always have to have the focal point to have a good environment. But I guess it helps.

The other thing are the light shafts. I really think you should drop them because, as the lighting, they don't really correlate with the surroundings. Lightshafts look cool through tree branches or smth, but here you really expect just a pillar of light of sorts. For which classic volumetrics would do much better.

I also think that the tiles on the floor a way to big, but I've never been to the sewers so I can't really know.

Anyway, great job, I enjoyed enslaved too and I would really love to see you squeeze all there is from this motherfucka.)

cheers!