Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Grad Project - Remnant

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
matthewjvia polycounter lvl 13
I'm a grad student working on my research project. It is focused on the idea of the environment as a character. I have been working on the project for a while now and I decided to start posting my work. I would really appreciate some feedback.

IngenusAulaConcept.jpg
This is the original concept for the environment produced by Cobalt Cox. The design was later simplified in order to meet my deadline.

humility1.jpg
humility2.jpg
humility3.jpg
This is one of my major assets. It is a statue representing their god of humility. I had originally hoped to produce all seven of these gods, but due to time constraints I had to make the tough choice to remove the others and focus on this one.

knight_1.jpg
knight_wire1.jpg
This is a knight statue that will appear in various areas of the environment and attempt to block the player's escape.

weapons1.jpg
weapons_wire.jpg
These are the various weapons used by the knight statues.

colossus1.jpg
colossus2.jpg
This is the colossus statue, which sits at the far end of the cave. As the player nears the exit is pounds on the cave walls giving the player a sense of danger as the cave starts collapsing around them.

Replies

• jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    Bumping this up so my friend can get some good advice.
    Also, welcome to polycount!
  • jeroenbackx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeroenbackx polycounter lvl 13
    The statues look really cool, the wings on that god statue look especially impressive. The texturing overall is pretty nice although i'd definitely add some nice spec-maps to the shaders. Try to really get the 'gold' materials to stand out from the stone.
    Also, multiply an ambient occlusion layer with the diffuse textures you already have. Right now, they look a little flat.

For the winged god, i'd give the cloth in front of his nose and mouth the same color as the rest of the character. That way I think it would better suggest that the it's a statue made of a single massive block of stone.

For the knight statue, I like the overall look but he looks a bit too thin. I think a proper knight should be a little more brawny. Also he's got this sweet helmet but otherwise very little serious armor. Maybe make it a bit more apparent that he has this chest armor, Make it a bit thicker and maybe loosen the cloth around it a little bit.

For the colossus statue, he looks cool. I suspect he'll look pretty impressive if he's really huge. The anatomy and pose is all pretty good I think. I don't know if he's going to lift something heavy, if he is, then maybe you should add some 'weight' to his pose. Otherwise it's fine.
    I only think his scarf thing looks a little weird. other than that, it's cool!

Also, did you consider damaging the statues? Maybe it would be good to create different variations this way. Break off some heads, arms, torsos, etc...

Hope that helps!
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    matthewjvia polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the advice. Damage was going to be one of my next steps. I'm running out of time to finish right now, so I'm just making note of things that I need to fix after my defense. The texture issues are no problem, but any major changes to the model may have to wait until after I turn this thing in.

I would still like to hear other people's thoughts though. Also, thanks Jackalope.