Home Technical Talk

Hand painting grass and dirt

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
I've had some experience with stone and wood, but im still stumped on how you deal with grass or dirt..

Heres two textures from WoW
elwynngrassbase.jpg

elwynndirtmud03.jpg

Grass: Im wondering how you would go about making a grass texture like this, or just some techniques in general. I really don't know where to start...

Dirt: Im even more lost with dirt. It really doesn't make any sense to me, and why do all of WoW's dirt textures look like they were painted over real pictures of dirt.

Could someone please post up some techniques for grass and dirt please?

Thanks

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    try making pictures of single blades of grass and then creating a custom brush in photoshop that scatters the grass blades around.

Same thing should work for dirt but with some rocks instead.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like a pretty neat idea. I have no experience with custom brushes like that, could you give me a brief run down?

I dont really see how that could work for the dirt. I get the whole rock part, but just the plain 'dirt' under the rocks im not sure how to make.
  • Arcanox
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys

Any more input on the dirt though? Im stumped on just getting a 'dirt' look as a base.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im just... so lost... I dont see how one could get a result like the grass texture i posted from wow.

Im really in need of major guidance, and its crazy how little tutorials there are for things like this.

craptex.jpg

My ridiculously horrible attempt
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    hi ,

about creating grass .. you can check out a thechnique adam share on his wip environment here

the result is not the same pic you post .. but it's a really cool technique that you can use :)
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Hey there Frell,

You know, the truth is man, I don't think many people at all create grass textures from scratch. I, and many others, would completely understand your desire as an artist to create EVERYTHING from absolute scratch, but the truth is, why give yourself more work when you can get around these things using well known tricks?

I guess what I'm saying is, there's nothing wrong with using photo's of actual grass and dirt to get your textures going. Nothing to be ashamed of. You are taking from nature exactly the same way as you would take from it without using photos anyways!

So, this is all my opinion and take it how you want it, but in this day and age of digital art and what-not, it's better to work SMARTER than HARDER, you know? Just my opinion.
  • ZacD
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks tristamus, in a way I felt using real pictures and filters was a form of cheating, thanks for that.

ayoub44, heres my result from that link. Seems like a decent method that I may use in the future.
    grasstestw.jpg

ZacD, thanks for that link. Just translated it and going to poke around, looks very interesting.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys, tried one last time from scratch and spent more time on the grass blades and heres the result.

Im very happy with it, but im afraid I just barely surpassed the 'painted' look. Id like other peoples' opinions though
    grassp.jpg

Here it is after a small smart blur pass to ease out the detail
    grassfi.jpg

So what one is more fit for a hand painted grass?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    it just needs some tweaks
    rAEwD.png
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, that looks great. What exactly did you do?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Filter > noise > reduce noise, it gives stuff a smoother look, also I'd add a bit more variation in the hue for darker and lighter areas
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much, I finally have a nice grass texture. That filter method I can also use on many other things.

Thanks to everyone else who posted also!

Ill work up a dirt texture and see how it goes.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright heres my first attempt at a dirt texture, I really didn't know what to do for the base texture so I used filters on a real photo and dabbed some rocks in there.

dirtj.jpg

Heres a second version:
    dirt2h.jpg
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    since the rocks have a very similar color and strong highlights they look more like glass shatters on the floor.

the grass texture turned out nice.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glass? Thats the last thing I would have thought of.. hmm. I don't want the rocks to stand out too much because then you'll notice tiling more.
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    yes but why such a strong highlight from the side and no overal shading and almost no contact shadows from the rocks to the ground?

PR1414SiteRocksInGround.jpg

take this as an example. Your imaginary light source should be more from the top. It can ofc be angled a bit to not make the lighting too flat.
    If you shade the top of the rocks lighter and increase the contact shadows you will increase the depth of your texture.
    That doesnt mean that it needs to be high contrast. It can still be rather low contrast to help with tiling.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    frell wrote: »
    Alright guys, tried one last time from scratch and spent more time on the grass blades and heres the result.

Im very happy with it, but im afraid I just barely surpassed the 'painted' look. Id like other peoples' opinions though
    grassp.jpg

Here it is after a small smart blur pass to ease out the detail
    grassfi.jpg

So what one is more fit for a hand painted grass?

Looks great! Did you handpaint each individual blade of grass, or use the sprite overlay technique in that tutorial from Allods Online?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I simply drew a few blades of grass in a clump together but still separated and then painted and highlighted each one and just kept duplicating the layer, transforming, and placing.

Heres some editing on the dirt
    dirt2q.jpg

Going to work on highlights now
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres an update to the highlights

dirt2u.jpg

Heres a cleaned up version
    dirt3.jpg

What one fits better?

grassanddirt.jpg
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    you can see the tiling too much, try to brake that up...
    (i.e. paint larger areas on a larger canvas)

also you might want to use "ndo" to generate a normal map and light the texture a little, adds more depth and mood
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im probably not going to use normals because im going for a scene that is like WoW, and I dont think they use normals, just specular.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Looking fantastic Frell, you've definitely improved already!

If you took that into Unreal, you could make a material blend using the grass as a mask to get the grass/dirt blend really sharp and not just slowly fade out as you've done up there. Saying that, I am aware it's just a Photoshop mockup.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Great work Frell, really surprised me with that grass texture, be good to see a few WIP screenies from that :D.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Really nice! This has come along way since it started!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's amusing how this went from someone asking how to replicate an example texture, to absolutely beating the pants off the original.

The original was obviously either photosourced or in any event transformed one clump of grass by stretching, scaling and rotating it. It's not awful, but it's clear it didn't receive even half the love and attention you gave your texture.
    Having said that, I'd suggest some more colour variation. I'd shift the highlights more towards the yellowish-green than what you currently have, and maybe ease off the dark strokes lining each individual blade of grass a bit. Reserve those for a few, not all, and you'll get a much less noisy texture.

It might also be nice to bring some bigger shapes into play. Right now it reads as really flat, trampled grass, which is fine, but you could simulate clumping a bit more and shade things as if they're not individual blades. Some types of grass could be trampled flat sort of like this, but even those would spring up a tiny bit, I think.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, nice progression.

You did a no-no for the dirt texture though, you tiled the larger rocks 2x2 within your texture. This makes it extremely repetitive. Very hard to fix with just small tweaks here and there. Better to either crop the entire thing to just one of the 1/4 corners, or else don't crop but re-do the stones for the other 3/4 of the texture.

I think the "broken glass" comment was because you have a one-pixel edge highlight on many of the stones (making them look thin like glass shards), and those highlights are coming from different directions (like glass refraction). Try removing those highlights?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Going from this
    craptex.jpg

to this
    grassp.jpg

Very nice improvement, it's nice to see you pouring refinement in order to achieve the quality you are looking for. Great eye.

The dirt texture is pretty nice, however I think the small pieces of rocks are all too uniform and having them at the same scale will produce much repeated noise once tiled. Why not exploring the options of having fewer rocks with different scales and shapes, this would provide some variation and ease when tiled.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work on the grass texture. Did you use TelekineticFrog's texture as a base or visual guideline? They look similar.

grassTile01.jpg