Home Technical Talk

variuos Maya questions.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
1. Is it possible to make viewport shortcuts in maya 2011 (key bindings), i want to make them like blender, 73,1 numpad.

2. is it possible to always have move,rotate,scale always active ? like transform component command.

3. does maya have a tool that can fill holes like the cap command in max ? , i can only fill holes with bridge
between two edges facing each other, but if the mesh has a hole with just 3 sides it doesnt work. also the fill hole
command is crap.

4. tips on your own most used shortcuts.

5. is it anyway to make make maya remember personal stuff, like for example if i creat i cube and whant that as a default

in the scene everytime i start up maya ?

Replies

• Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    1. You can change all the shortcuts in Window > Settings/Preferences > Hotkey Editor.

2. Well, you could put a keyboard shortcut on Transform Component, that's what I do.

3. Mm? Mesh > Fill Hole works exactly like 3dsMax's Cap for me.

4. Well, when I work in Max, what I miss the most from Maya is proper, snap and on the fly pivot changing. Try messing around with v (vert snap), d (holding it allows you to move the object or selection pivot) and middle-click (allows you to move stuff even if you're not focused on it). Otherwise my Maya is so customized I wouldn't really know what to recommend, most of my shortcuts aren't default.

5. Not sure... You could always make you're own default scene and script a shortcut to open it on the fly... Don't really see the point to be honest though.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    3. Append to Polygon tool is better I find for some cases.

5. You could have a script job that runs when maya starts up to create a cube.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    5. Try this:
    Create a text file called "userSetup.mel" in your Documents>maya>version>scripts directory, that contains:
    global proc startupProc ()
    {file -import -type "mayaBinary" "C:/start.mb";}
    evalDeferred startupProc;

with "C:/start.mb" replaced by the location and name of the file you want Maya to load at start.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    5. Try this:
    Create a text file called "userSetup.mel" in your Documents>maya>version>scripts directory, that contains:
    global proc startupProc ()
    {file -import -type "mayaBinary" "C:/start.mb";}
    evalDeferred startupProc;

with "C:/start.mb" replaced by the location and name of the file you want Maya to load at start.

an angel as always ! , thanks alot man !
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    haiddasalami thanks for the tips will try that.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Bal wrote: »
    1. You can change all the shortcuts in Window > Settings/Preferences > Hotkey Editor.

2. Well, you could put a keyboard shortcut on Transform Component, that's what I do.

3. Mm? Mesh > Fill Hole works exactly like 3dsMax's Cap for me.

4. Well, when I work in Max, what I miss the most from Maya is proper, snap and on the fly pivot changing. Try messing around with v (vert snap), d (holding it allows you to move the object or selection pivot) and middle-click (allows you to move stuff even if you're not focused on it). Otherwise my Maya is so customized I wouldn't really know what to recommend, most of my shortcuts aren't default.

5. Not sure... You could always make you're own default scene and script a shortcut to open it on the fly... Don't really see the point to be honest though.

1. okay, have you find any command in the hotkay area that even shows the change viewport command ? , i looked but cant fins it.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Ok go to Window -> Setting/Preferences -> HotKey Editor. Left side, scroll down to user. Hit New and what you want to do is assign this script for each of the views.
    string $modelPanel = `getPanel -underPointer`;
    lookThroughModelPanel viewname $modelPanel;

Make 5 hotkeys and replace viewname with top, side, left, right or persp. Right now it changes based on which panel the pointer is under but you can change
    -underPointer to -withFocus which makes it change the view you were working on. Probably a better way to do this, but Im lazy to go through the categories lol and just use the hotbox or space as once you get used to it, its way faster. Hope that helps!

Edit: Ctrl - (1,2,3,4,5 etc) doesnt seem to be bound to anything so might be good to bind those there. Play too much fps/strats and hate moving my hands all around :P
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Ok go to Window -> Setting/Preferences -> HotKey Editor. Left side, scroll down to user. Hit New and what you want to do is assign this script for each of the views.

Make 5 hotkeys and replace viewname with top, side, left, right or persp. Right now it changes based on which panel the pointer is under but you can change
    -underPointer to -withFocus which makes it change the view you were working on. Probably a better way to do this, but Im lazy to go through the categories lol and just use the hotbox or space as once you get used to it, its way faster. Hope that helps!

Edit: Ctrl - (1,2,3,4,5 etc) doesnt seem to be bound to anything so might be good to bind those there. Play too much fps/strats and hate moving my hands all around :P

thanks for the tips will try that.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9

awsome man,worked fine, how can i assign perspective view ? to number 0 ?