Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Pier UDK scene

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
Here is a scene I just finished up. It is for this months contest over at Gnomon, themed (The Pier). Crits are always welcomed, no guarantees they will be worked on but I always appreciate opinions. Thanks.

4PWCr.jpg

Replies

• Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Sweet, The water looks pretty nifty, Got any close ups/wires/texture sheets?
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking really amazing actually. I was just wondering why there is so many zeppelins in the sky though ?
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys
    I dont have any of the texture sheets etc right now or wires. I could get some though soon.

The reason I have so many Zeppelins is because this is a type of docking Pier/Airport. So they are circling and some are also patrolling as lookouts.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh alright maybe you should just make that blimp that's already docked more apparent to provide a bit better context that blimps actually land there

Other than that. It looks like it has great potential
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Aaaaauwe yeah! Love the atmosphere! This is showcase/banner shit for realz! Can't you tell us a bit about your workflow? How did you do the rocks? And is the sky photo, hand painted or Vue? Look real nice!
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Really great so far man, must say.

I especially like the water. Please delve more into how that was done, along with wires and texture sheets when you get the chance!
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    have you painted the wave-break foam around the rocks and so on?
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    The sky is killing it for me. I love colorful skies, but this one reminds me of sherbet ice cream. Switching that one spot of red sky to match the golden bit near the horizon would nail it home. (For me, anyway.)

Good stuff. Can we get some wires and textures?
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    To bad you touched some stuff up in Photoshop (The breaking of the waves around the rocks and pier, plus some pieces of the large waterfal on the left).
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL wrote: »
    To bad you touched some stuff up in Photoshop (The breaking of the waves around the rocks and pier, plus some pieces of the large waterfal on the left).

Auch! I hope you are wrong *shrug*
  • Mir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mir polycounter lvl 6
    Love the skies and the cliffs! Would be awesome if you would share some wires.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    looks good !

but can somebody explain this to me:

since udk is out all those unreal scenes that get posted have this strong blue in the haze and in the ambient lighting of the models usually boosted by the color correction post-filters

i mean i love blue but its usually in scenes that dont have a nearly blue enough sky to warrant it ...

so ... why ?
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments.

Evil, why is to bad that I did some stuff in PS? That is part of creating a still image for the contest, as well as part of my art process.

Olsson- What do you want to know about my workflow? I did the rocks in Zbrush. The sky I took a panoramic image of clouds and a sky and then started doing a combination of hand painting and photos. I then brought a panning cloud texture I created with my panoramic sky and set it up in Unreal with a Sun.

Happy Cow- ya not all my textures were at the highest resolution. I also built the scene out to game standards in regards to somethings, in case I decide to setup a fully functioning level later on.

Warby- In regards to blue haze, U dont know. For me personally it just gives me a look that I like and to me haze is usually a greyish blue and it tends to work well in Unreal.
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the use of colour. Personally, I've have several smaller, narrower waterfalls.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    That might be, but it would have been more impressive if the breaking of the waves where part of your 3d scene and not a rough paintover. Especially since you certanly can do that kind of stuff within the UDK, which makes the decision feel a bit lazy.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Id have to agree with the whole adding stuff in post, kinda defeats the idea of Games Art. That being said this looks stunning, great use of colour.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Beautiful colours, overall great scene.

Now technically you COULD achieve the surf around the rocks / land line if you wanted too, and even though its a good thing to use when you want to ground your pieces, I think overall it shouldn't matter too too much because it is such a small thing compared to everything else you've done in the scene.

That's just my opinion though :(
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    This looks like a fun environment. I love the concept and it looks great. But I think you can tone down some of the colors, especially in the sky. Maybe you can have some boats in the forground, give it a more industrial feel?
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that looks amazing :o maybe have some sort of large distant keep behind the gates in the background to add something a bit more to it? in FFIX there's a place like this and it's like that, not telling you to rip it off but it was just really cool
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Great work! I really like the colours and how vibrant everything is. I think you could tone them down just a bit, perhaps some of the saturation in the sky. Perhaps pull a few areas a bit darker and tone down the fog slightly.

One more thing which is bothering me are the amount of Zeppelins in the air, so many to the point that they look obviously duplicated and rotated. Maybe you could get rid of a few or adjust the composition of them, but that's just my opinion.

Otherwise, great scene overall. I would love to see a breakdown of this.
  • Melonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wicked. It's beautiful almost like a painting really rich with colour. Nice work.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind posting you HP's for the rock? (:
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another point against the photoshopping is that the waves look very poorly done. Just two scribbly lines, it's very obvious. If you're going to go into the realm of editing screenshots, do it properly, make it fit the scene!
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olsson, I will post the HP later when I get home form work.

Mighty- will do.