Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Porkovich/Rick Blanke-Environment Artist

Hey there

I've been lurking on this site for the last 8 months or so and found it to be very helpful for an emerging 3D Artist. I've completed a few projects and would be interested in getting some critiques on the content I have so far. My plan is to find an entry position with a developer as a Environment Artist or Prop Artist. The site is pretty simple and straightforward and your welcome to comment on it as well.
The trailer model is the oldest project on there and I'm thinking about axing it for something new. Maybe something organic. All your thoughts are appreciated.

Replies

• PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    I'd suggest switching "Work" to "Home" for clarity's sake. And the thumbnails should show the textured assets, not the wireframes.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Agreed on changing thumbnails to textured/lit scenes. I thought they were unfinished models at first.

Edit: Also, you might want to make better use of your home screen. You could have medium sized images instead of tiny thumbnails.
  • porkovich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good points on the thumbnails. The site allows for larger images. Using the wireframes was probably a bad idea.
  • porkovich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the thumbnails to include color renders and made em larger
  • minimari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like your site, I think that you have really nice quality pieces!
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    You call it a "vintage hotel", it's clearly a Beaux-Arts style building, based on the arches decorations, and the date. Overall you stuff looks good, but are they renders or real-time?
  • porkovich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The images are rendered out of max and maya. I have not gotten heavily involved with working in UDK or any of the others yet. Mainly been crafting my modeling/texturing skills over the past year. I'll be getting into UDK soon. I just want to show that I can model and texture with both Max and Maya. I am also currently working on a project where I'm baking out my normal maps versus painting them. The models on my site right now are using normal maps derived from BW height maps I painted in PS.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    I think you shoud watch for your polygon distribution. Some areas on the tractor and the fuel tank are quite heavy on their polycount. I think there is room for improvement. For example the seat on the tractor. It's a little too heavy beveled in my opinion and the frame of the seat has quite a lot of sections in comparison to its small diameter. So regarding the tractor there areas that don't need that much bevel.
    The fuel tank has a similar problem. The main body seems good to me but the hatch has definatel a lot more loops than it really needs to work out.