Home Technical Talk

Zbrush newbie

I have recently started using Zbrush, until about 2 days ago I hated it, and I'm about 8 days through the free trial. I was wondering after you leave edit mode and add something is there a way to reselect something you have deselected. I know I can draw it again from the right but is there a different way.

Also is there any tutorials on creating hair, I can't think of a decent way to do it in Zbrush, again I am a complete newbie to it, and I don't really know if there is any quick tricks.

Thanks, I am getting there just taking it's time. :)

Replies

• cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If a tool is deselected and dropped to the document, you can't reselect it. You'd have to redraw the tool back onto the document (which you may want to clear with ctrl+n first) and go back into edit mode. If you're trying to work with multiple tools at once, I'd suggest getting used to the concept of subtools. You can insert / append multiple tools together pretty easily, and then use the subtool menu to select / switch back and forth between them.
  • SteveyConlan
    Ahh okay, so I just have to make sure I save my tool instead of my document? Will saving the tool save the texture on it?

I'll look into the subtools, thanks. :)

It's a lot different to 3ds Max, probably why I am having some trouble with it. :P
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Yup, the tool is the 3d model so always save the tool. Saving the document is more of an enhanced screenshot. Good for 2/2.5d art and people who are using zbrush to create such paintings, not so useful for someone who is using it to sculpt.
  • SteveyConlan
    Ahh right great stuff you've helped out loads, and hopefully you wont mind me asking one more question?

http://img140.imageshack.us/i/91049210.png/

this keeps happening when I drop my texture from Zapplink. The texture is fine in Photoshop however when I drop it in Zbrush it marks it all with the black shaded kind of thing. Confusing me loads :S
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Can't say I've ever seen that issue. Is it possible you have two identical meshes in the same place? Or perhaps you've accidentally been painting a material on it as well. Switch to the flat-color matcap, turn off RGB painting and turn on M, and go to Color> Fill Object. See if that makes any difference.
  • SteveyConlan
    I think it had just bugged but it may have been because I left the skin04 matcap on whilst texturing.

Thanks a lot :) you've saved me a load of wondering and confusion. :)