Home Technical Talk

Mudbox is being an asshole!

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Here I was tonight, sculpting away with the Flat brush with it set to not update its plane. Minutes and SAVES later I notice this shit.

Like a mad man I undo until I can't undo any more and it doesn't revert. Then I try going to my .bak and it too is fucked.

So what I tried was going down some sub levels, fixing the lower poly version in max, reimport it as a layer and its not fixed. All it seemed to do was move the higher subd verts when I reapplied the sub division levels once my fix was reimported.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

mudfuck01.jpg
mudfuck02.jpg

Replies

• tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Woah...that's nasty.

Can't say I know exactly how to fix this man lol...

However, have you tried exporting out the model at it's highest sub-d level as an obj, import to zbrush, and then try to reconstruct subdiv? Maybe just go back to max / maya etc, delete those faces entirely, and manually rebuild them / fill the hole (even though that'd really suck, depends how bad you wanna fix it...)

I can't really think of anything else...

Maybe try relaxing the mesh with the deformer tools under deformation in zbrush? I have no idea.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Not sure if this workflow is doable in Mudbox, but with Zbrush you could copy your lowest subdivision level, bring it up to the same level as your original model, store a MorphTarget, do a Project All to grab your original models details, switch back to your MorphTarget, then use the a large Morph brush to bring back in the details, all the while avoiding the troublesome areas.

I remember this kind of thing happening to me when I used Mudbox a while back as well, not sure what causes it.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried smoothing the shit out of that area?

Like, with strenght of a 100, and just going crazy over that whole area? That way you would of course have to redo that area, but that beats redoing the entire thing..

Only thing I can think of atm..
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Adam, here's something you can you try:

1. Export the highest and lowest level of your sculpt.

2. Import the low level mesh as a new object and subdivide it to the same level as the high level sculpt.

3. Use the import as layer function to add the high res details to the new mesh.

4. Now all the details (including artifacts) are on a separate layer. Turn on mask visibility and use the mask tool to erase all the spiky artifacts while preserving the details. For spikes that are intersecting the mesh you will want to hide faces so you can see inside the mesh and mask from there.

It's not a perfect solution, will take a bit of time and some finesse, but it works reasonably well. If you wanted to get really fancy you could probably bake a displacement map, clean it up and remove the artifacts in Photoshop (they would be pretty obvious), and then use the "sculpt from displacement map" function to add the details back onto a newly subdivided mesh.
  • KWAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanted to say LOL to the OP
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    if you have the SAP version of mud...
    use transfer details to repair this issue...
    just lower the search distance...
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In addition to all that's been said, what I would do (in zbrush mind, so I hope this workflow tranfers over to Mudbox): Store a morph-targer, smooth the absolute living shit out of the model (first at a lower subd level, then step up and smooth, step up smooth...) and morph everything but those two spots (where it originally came from and where it jumped to the other side) back to its original state. At that point, because it's rock, you should be able to rework those bits to their original level of detail fairly quickly.

I've tried masking and move for this sort of thing before as well, but it never worked at all