Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spellsword Character

Greetings Polycount!

I'm sculpting this spellsword character right now and before I get too much further I wanted to get some crits.
The end goal is game rez with a diffuse, normal, and spec map.
I think there is something wrong with his hands I can't quite put my finger on, and the face is extremely wip so I will post separate shots of it once it gets a bit further.

Any thoughts? Paint overs welcome.

SpellWipOrtho01.jpg

SpellWipOther01.jpg

I still need to design his most important feature... his sword! More to come.

Replies

• haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Some decent things overall, but the clothing is a little too wrinkly, I think, and don't make sense in some places. The thumbs seem too small, and his arm in general is shaped oddly.

It might be worth stepping down to a lower subdivision level to tweak the shapes and proportions.

A pet peeve of mine about clothing: the edges of the cloak/hood appear paper thin. I think it's worth trying to create the illusion of thickness there for a convincing normal map bake.
  • strayvert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks haikai, I tried to get the wrinkles under control and less blob like. I think the problem with the thumb was that it was too small and also way too high up on his arm. I think that part looks better now.

Heh. When I took that screen grab I had my solidify modifier turned off so the hood was paper thin, should be turned on this time.

How's he shaping up? I think he might be about ready for retopo but I didn't want to start that without getting at least another round of advice on the sculpt.

spellWIP03.jpg
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    I don't know if it's me but I see a little seam on the mantle at the chest level. Getting rip of that can make the model better because people can easily recognize the symmetry.
  • strayvert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That little seam is a seam in the cloth where it was sewed together and not a mirroring artifact. So you think it is too distracting? I wouldn't have thought about that.