Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Swedish Restaurant (Gökboet)

Here´s this Restaurant we lunch at sometimes named Gökboet, it´s located in Malmoe Sweden. And It´s my first modular building.
That is to say you make your texture first, hack it up in to "Lego´s" and build from that.
It was a fun and rather challenging project for me.
A good video tutorial about modular stuff is the one from 3dmotive and it´s called "ModularBuilding".

It´s rendered with Kodde´s Shader in Maya.
1024 textures (Specular, Normal, Difuse, Gloss, Reflection and Occlution (512)

4300 tris, for the house and the lamppost.
Thanx :)
/Danny

epicox.jpg
epic2i.jpg
textures.jpg

Replies

• LateWhiteRabbit
    I've got the 3DMotive tutorial on modular building as well. It's quite good, and I can't imagine working any other way now on buildings.

I can't tell if the windows in your building facing us (on the corner) have any geometry or depth. They look carved out of the wall (i.e. just a normal map) and it doesn't sell me on the illusion of actual windows. I see you have the cuts there in the wireframe, but I think you should push them some more.

Also, you have artifacting (or maybe it's intentional) around the window frame edges that make the plaster look dug out around them. It hurts the look of the windows and contributes to them looking flat.

Is the design work beneath the windows on the second story really like that - the banister design? Or are those the ends of a balcony? It would be nice to see the reference you worked from.

It's looking nice, it just needs more depth to feel real.
  • kYo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kYo polycounter lvl 9
    ^ agree

i think its nice but got some minor problem zones

especially those marked areas look too artificial IMO:
    epicox_crit.jpg

so cauz its fun, quick overpaint fixing:
    epicox_overpaint.jpg
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    I really like the green vine around the window/door, can I ask how you did that?
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    Nice building! Have to go down south and see it for myself :)
  • Ikuru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LateWhiteRabbit, Thanks for all the valid feedback. I think your right about the windows. I tried following my ref, but I will probably go back and push them further in order to get a better more interesting shape. Also the darkness around the windows Makes them look countersunk, I´ll have to clean that up in the normalmap. Here are some of the photo´s I used for ref and for textures.

gkboet.jpg
  • Ikuru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyo, Thanks for the valid point and for the paintover. I will try to get that look in the corners. Since its modular it means I have to do it on that wall part and than shrink the UV shells wherever I am using that same wall piece, but yes, it can be done, and I will try to do it.

Snow, Thanks! No big trick to that, the whole difuse texture is made from photographs. You straighten them out in Photoshop with the transform tool and then you have to handpaint on them in order to clean everything up and make the colours etc. correct and tillable etc.

The vine itself was there already so I just pushed the brightness and saturation of the colours that be and then kept it in the normal and specular map too.

Cheese_SHinobi :) Thanx man, Do it! ;)

I´ll try and post an update eventually.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You do realize Malmö is spelled Malmö in english too right? :D
    Sweet building.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Visceral wrote: »
    You do realize Malmö is spelled Malmö in english too right? :D
    Sweet building.

Are you crazy?! If we use the Ö letter peoples computer will crash over in the US! And! Malmoe is so much more 2011! :P