Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

scifi floor thingy

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
SnowInChina interpolator
uhm, yeah, some hardsurface practice
didnt use a ref, but after i finished i realized it reminds me like something ive seen somewhere. maybe from racer

however this is the first tile from 3 which will be layed down in a control tower [inspired by ghost in the shell ]
iam going to upload the concept tomorrow

floortilehi2.png

notice to myself, if you´re ever going to model everything in instead of using floating geometry. DONT FUCKING DO IT.
couldn't turbosmooth the panels because it would go up to 50million tris or something like that (its not that i didnt try, but my pc crashed everytime i did)

update
here's the screenshot from gits
i wont copy it 1:1, but at least the genereal shape will be the same
gitstower1.png

Replies

• brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Looks pretty good.

You might have some troubles when you go to render your normal maps. Because the crosshatching is so fine, it likely won't render out with great clarity. You'll have use a really large texture size, or increase the size of the crosshatching itself.

Not bad though. Keep us posted :)
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    brandoom wrote: »
    Looks pretty good.

You might have some troubles when you go to render your normal maps. Because the crosshatching is so fine, it likely won't render out with great clarity. You'll have use a really large texture size, or increase the size of the crosshatching itself.

Not bad though. Keep us posted :)

hm, yeah, have to see how it works out
    but since its tileable and this isnt for any kind of a game, i can maybe get away with a little bigger map for the tile
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    second tile hi poly
    guess i have to make some changes though

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6187/floortilehi.png
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    ok, after solving some small issues here´s the bake
    the normal map came out fine ( 2048x2048 )
    still some noob mistakes from the modeling, so all the details arent as good as they could be
    not going to make the mistake again

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2623/finaltilenormal.jpg

applied to a plane

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/8461/crappocopy.jpg

dont know if this is going to work
    with ao it really looks blurry...
    maybe i can touch this up in photoshop a bit, but its already 4.30am, so iam calling it a day
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    scrapped the second tile and rebuild it
    here´s a part of the layout
    cant put everything together because there´s still one tile missing but iam working on it, next after that comes the table

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/9059/layoutwp.jpg
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Looking alright so far - while you can't pick out the detail of the crosshatching, it's not too important.

Also copy and pasted from Jason's Deus Ex thread:
    Vahl wrote:
    not the first time I notice this from you jason, and others in general, but you have a lot of super sharp edges and 90° angles that will not read very nicely on the normal, which is a shame because it'll give away the illusion of depth, even with a good AO, like there's already noise/aliasing on your screengrab which is about twice the size this wall will always be seen ingame, just think about it
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    yeah, this is something i realised when i was done baking it down
    many details dont read too well
    i will try to keep this in mind when i model the rest of the scene and maybe revisit the floortiles when everything else is finished
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I think you should remodel the crosshatching, make them a bit exaggerated and with a bit rounder edges..
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    modeled the last tile that wasnt done and put them together how they will connect in the scene

also edited all posts and replaced the images with links, so this thread wont be so bandwidth hungry

here´s the final layout

layoutfinali.jpg
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    dont forget to have sloped angles instead of straight vertical ones in your hi-res. Otherwise there will be nothing baked in the normal map and those black "outlines" around the "crosses" of your pannels show that ;)
    Remember that Normal map is baked through projected rays. If surface is perpendicular to the projection plane then it will not appear in the normal map.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    yeah, i somehow thought the small champfered edges would be enough, but they dont come out too much

edit : the black lines are btw from the ao map afaik
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    yes i know its from ao, thats the point that there is very deep ao but no normal support ;)
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    some more high poly training stuff
    original concept by paul richards

lighthi.jpg

i think the screws (especially the ones on the side) are too small
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    lightlow2.png

180tris
    somehow the normalmap is fucked up
    dont know for sure whats going on, but thats for later... need some sleep now
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    ok, i´ve played around with this now for 8 hours and i dont seem to find a solution to it
    i remodeled the low maybe 5-6 times in different ways but the normalmap stays this way
    i tryd to smooth out the high poly a bit, but its not that easy with the curved silhouette
    kinda freakin out here and am a little afraid to post cauz its always the normals with me =(

anyway, whats the problem here ?
    fuckedupy.jpg
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    so i made a testbake on a cube
    there are no errors whatsoever, so somehow my lowpoly must be shitty
    maybe way more geo on the edges ?
  • Next
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    no just remove the mirrored uv shell for the bakin process move it to uv sektor 2 2 or whatso ever then it wil bake fine ! :)
    edit: as u use blender copy the object move the mirrored uv shells outside the checkered box in the imageeditor....aka uv thingy screen.....
    export that copied version to bake in xnormal... which i suppose u use to bake....
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    now i hate myself

edit: thanks btw, i was really frustrated. this is my first mirrored thing so i somehow forgot about that.. despite the fact that i saw several tutorials some time ago...
  • Next
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    ...could be a secret but i guess everybody encounters pretty much the same problems when they start out with bakin stuff xD....so much stuff to know and consider to get a clean bake under various conditions.....
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    back again...
    bake works somehow, but i get a nasty seam along my seam, but only on the mirrored side, the original side looks good

fuckedagain.png
  • Next
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    ok if thats the blender viewport... and its baked in xnormal than u should flip the green channel of the normalmap this could help(or maybw not as the not mirrored side looks fine).... i dont recall for sure but i think blender cant handle mirrored normalmap stuff in the view port at all.... but u can test that by rendering it ... i just dont recall it now exactly... sry
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    baked in blender and its a rendered shot not the viewport, hm gonna try to import the model into unity and look whats its doing

edit: ok, no seams in unity
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya if you baked in blender you will need to manually flip the green channel in photoshop to make it display right in unity or udk.

personally i find xnormal doe sway better normal and AO bakes than blender does so maybe you should just export out your high and low poly and do it in xnormal.

and like was mentioned previous the easiest way to do it mirrored is to just make a copy for baking the maps that has one side of the uv layout dragged out of the 1 to 0 space.
  • elitewolverine
    I must ask why your doing a mirrored normal map?

Why not just bake the whole thing?

Ive never expereinced the issue you are having when baking from high to low poly in blender...if i may ask, do you mind sharing just that object and see if i cant either repeat or help with that normal?
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    i edited my post above, normals do work now, they only look weird in blender
    unity and marmoset display them correctly
  • elitewolverine
    sounds good, its weird that your getting that though never had it in blender before.

i take it you have glsl enabled while in blender.

and your model looks good, interested to see how the project of yours turns out, like the reference pic as well
  • elitewolverine
    I was wondering if you have tried to do GLSL Bump Map painting? And then baking the extra details to the normal map, to combine the high poly normal and the new details...

Its probably the absolute best way to get scratches etc onto your normal, without pushing polys, and its fast too..

i was thinking about that method when you were doing your grated floors.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    nope, didnt try that @elitewolverine

some progress
    made a quick blockout and played around with marmorset
    towerscene.png
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    some updates

remodelled the lamp, textures still wip
    lamp2.png

and sketched out the table, it will be bigger than the table in the original scene and there will be some modifications, well, thats the direction it will be going
    tabledetail.png
    still getting used to my wacom, so its not as good as i would like it to be, but iam getting there :)

and i know, iam kinda slow, but this is my first complete project and there´s alot of learning involved (and a lot a remodelling stuff 10 or more times because it looks like shit) so bear with me :)
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    small update
    commandtable.jpg

crits ? suggestions ?
    it would be cool to have the 3d map (and the monitors) animated, but iam not yet sure how to realize that since i havent done anything related to animation yet