Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anime race car driver (wip)

Here it is completed. Took approximately week and a half.

-1760 tris; Going to lower this since I forgot the eyes were still the default mesh I'd made earlier which isn't optimized.
-1024x1024 for the Body textures, 512 for the Head, 512 for the hair, and 256 for the eyes.
-All pics taken in the max viewport. Had some oppacity map issues.
-Forgot to change the color of his eye brows when I took the pics :(
-The upper eyelashes aren't visible since I was planning on having them be double sided.

-Not too sure about the jacket in the back. I redid the high-res on the back but haven't baked it. Wondering if I can get some feedback? How should the folds in the back go?

race_boy_13.jpg

race_boy_14.jpg

Pic on left has the right eyebrows. [Edit] I went in and fixed some of the geometric distortions of the hair.
race_boy_15.jpg

Body texture sheet.
http://home.comcast.net/~acknar/race_boy_16.jpg

Face texture sheet.
http://home.comcast.net/~acknar/race_boy_17.jpg

Going to begin working on the female racer next, will probably post it on this same thread.

I really appreciate the coments and the help!

Replies

• MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    The face needs some work. Dreamer recently cobbled together a pretty useful thread about this over in the technical talk forums. The ears could certainly stand to be a bit more flared out from the face (just looking at your ref). Other than that this looks like a pretty neat project.

[generic "go speed racer" comment]
  • helldiver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How's the face edge flow now?

I know the cheek area (for the blue loop) doesn't flow continuously. Should I redo the cheek so that both those loops flow? Didn't think it would be needed.

I don't want the ears as large as the ref. Made them a bit larger but once the hair is in I'll resize them as needed. If they are larger they might clip the helmet. The helmet replaces the hair.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The edge loops around the eyes are fine but the ones around the mouth are going to deform weird if animated. Since most low-poly free-to-play MMOs contain all the facial animation of of a dead maniquin that's not really the biggest concern. What I was mostly trying to point out is that the way you have the bottom of the jawline follow up into the corner of the eye not only causes the jaw line to look soft rather than sharp and defined like most anime characters but it also causes the front of the skull to look a bit too square.
  • helldiver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated up at the first post.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a paintover of some topology that could make the side of the head look a little less weird and would also give you a few more polys to round out the head even though you're apparently going to cover it with an awesome Bob Ross 'fro.

topopaintover.jpg
  • helldiver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Contineing on, hadn't checked the forums until just now. I changed the flow slightly, going to updated it again to follow your suggestions.

Thanks so much for the help!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Is this going to be heavily animated?
  • helldiver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not at all. But for the face it will at least do Ah-Ah-ah for talking. It will blink and be able to raise eye brows for surprised or lower them for frown. Body wise just walk, run, sit, idle, repair, and drive.

Nothing fancy.
  • helldiver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started texturing

Nothing fancy right now. I haven't decided what text to use or what colors to use on the uniform.

Doing a completely new texturing workflow I learned here. Used to be I'd export out from textporter, use that as my guide in photoshop and then paint everything from scratch there. Now I'm using the normal map green channel to help me with the details, particularly the folds.
  • helldiver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Continued with the body instead of the face. It turned out kind of meh. :(

I can't figure out how to do a nomex effect. In some spots it looks ok (like around the sleeves) but in others not so good (like the buttocks).

If you guys have suggestions I'd really appreciate them.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Just have to say, i think the folds on the back look weird, they dont enough sence.
    Should be easy to find refrence on cloth folds on google.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    no speed racer!
    You are racing too much speed!
  • helldiver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this better?

race_boy_12.jpg
  • helldiver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Completed the boy racer, up next the female racer. What do you guys think of the back? I'm not sure how the folds go. I posted a pic of the high res, suggestions would be appreciated.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good man, could add some rufflage to the parts where the shirt tucks into the pants, but it looks good to me.

(talking from a gamers prospective, my words are worthless).
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    think the folds are a little unfocussed and subtle/soft atm. Could have a few more obvious ones built up around points of interest (ie the elbow, around the wrists, waist and tops of the legs, etc) to add some focus.
    I think more importantly tho just grabbing some more race suit reference (google) could give you some ideas of where to throw folds in, depending on how detailed you wanted to go.

Really like how you did the style tho dude, turned out better than i thought it would ^^ And i think it works pretty well on the final with the textures so yeah :)
  • Maria121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These Athene racers are looking good but aren’t effective like real race car drivers.