Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Knight project

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
So I decided to come back to characters.. Ive been hopping around lately between the 3 main categories of hard surface, environment, and characters. I get frustrated with one and move to the other alot. I realized I make the most progress with characters and decided to stick with it (Hard to do after Firebert's comment about the difficulty of landing as a character artist). Hard surface I liked the results but didn't like the process of creation... It was too technical and not very artsy to me in a way I cant really explain.

So I decided to make a knight to come back into characters and to start integrating zbrush in my workflow better.

Explanation of the picture you see below: Im not starting with the arm. The arm was a miniproject to see if i could actually handle something like this. I plan on using the same armor plates (but redoing them in zbrush, this was a quick workup). The mesh has some errors, I already see where the plates come too close to the arm and go through and Ill need to fix those up.

Im satisfied with the quick workup, spent maybe a minute on each plate.

knightarm.png

First time messing with a mass amount of armor on a character, please mention any problems you had (or you see I might have).

Oh! forgot to mention goal and the sources of the armor. I didn't want to wing it so for the past few days Ive been viewing and reading about medieval plate armor since the 12th century up to about the 14-15th. I plan to copy the general parts of the armor that they all have in common and using those so I can get authenticity, and then combining my own ideas with this.