Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Sylver

Well its been roughly a year since I set foot onto these forums and I think it`s time to come back and get to work.

Last time I was on here I put up a `student` portfolio and was pretty reamed out over how sporadic and quality overall of the piece. After some time off to re-evaluate what I want to do, and this will hopefully document my progress.

My goal is to be a low-poly modeler, since it has the same feel as some of the pixel work I did when I was younger.

with that said, here`s a hatchet I whipped off earlier this morning.

advice and critique is encouraged.

Replies

• Sylver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've put together a bit of a list of things I'm planning on working on to re-assemble my portfolio. Some are in the works while others are still a glint in my eye. I welcome more seasoned artists to critique this list. One of my initial problems with my first port was a lack of direction. I'm hoping this one is more concise and direct.

Environments
    Rustic workshed
    - various props (saws, hammers, axes, the above hatchet etc.)
    - indirect lighting via hooded lantern and obscured window, dust particles

Classic arched ceiling church
    - disrepair, broken stained glass windows and statues
    - ramshackled altar, pews

Hard body

Custom Hand Cannon "The Darwin Effect"
    - research Req.

M-47 Patton Tank
    - Ortho's aquired, beginning work

Charecter Modeling

Pixar- Style billiard Player
    - Initial modeling complete, awaiting cleanup/optimization (attached)
    - Building Scene (Pool Hall)

Mideval-Fantasy Style Giant suit of Armor "Red Crosse Knight"
    - Open Field leading to a mountain, armor hidden in its shadow
    - child in foreground, looking on with curiosity

Those are my thoughts so far, I figure they'll keep me busy for a while. But I am curious- should I also look into some scripting? I was told by an artist in the industry scripting is becoming par for the course for artists. thoughts?

The attached file is my Pixar Pool player, dubbed "Shark". I wanted him to be very charecture style for pool with big eyes and long fingers.
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    I'll advice you on some thigs that I've picked up during my time at College and work. I like that you've written down what you're about to have in your portfolio, but have in mind what you're aming for when doing your portfolio. For example, what is your specialization and what kind of impact do you want with the portfolio. If you're aiming to be a character modeler, only focus on character Models, if you're into Environment modeling then have alot of props in there etc. Also, have in mind to write down texture resolution and triangle count on your rendered image/video.

There's alot more to tell about portfolios and showreels, so if you're more intrested PM me or something and I'll help you as much as I can.