Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New character coming up!

Hey guys!

A couple of months back I tried to do some hand painted textures on a character and now I'm back with a new one from the same series of concepts (by Marko Djurdjevic for parasytic moon).
This time around I did a sculpt, baked some normals and occlusion, lights etc. to get me going and then painted the face, neckplates and hands in bodypaint. The rest is basically just the bakes with some gradients and a slight overlay at some places.

The Idea with this guy was basically keeping the specs down a bit and see what I could get out of it. He's at about 3.4k, using 512 color, spec, spec power and normal map.

was fun, pretty happy with the results and feedback is welcome :thumbup:

01-pose.jpg02T-pose.jpg

Replies

• Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    dayum! that looks awsome... really like the crisp folds on the orange deal, and that face is baws ^^

killer peice (especially at those specs ^^).
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    slap my ass and call me charlie now that's impressive for 512!
    Love the face, though I think the expression could be better for the sake of presentation.

The yellow thing is really amazing. Is there a chance we could see some textures and hopefully hear how did you go about defining this material since it looks way cooler and crisper then most of what I'm used to seeing even at higher res.

I would also put kneepads a bit higher, 'cause when I try to imagine him stand on his knees I'm not sure that the pad edge wouldn't end up in the middle of the knee cap(which could be painful).

And the hair could use some alpha. For something without alpha they look really cool but alongside that very realistic face I think that some hair planes would do the face more justice.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Impressive to say the least!!!
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
    face texture hand painted ? really ? if it's really this is great , and all model are great !!! Good job !
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    this looks absolutely fantastic. very clean and bright, badass work. i love that the textures aren't overpowering the sculpt.
    those dark spots at the edge of the pants look somewhat odd to me from the front perspective. a little bit like uncolored pixels at the edge of a uv seam. perfectly fine from the side though and it's only a very minor thing, if at all.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Wow that is really impressive!
  • kotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whoa thanx a bunch guys! :thumbup:

d1ver: Agreed on the face, didn't know where he'd end up while I was sculpting so I just went for a neutral expression. dunno if I did something special with that piece of cloth but it's definitley one of the points I'm happy about with this piece. I put together a quick image of the bakes and highres I used to come up with the results, hope it's usefull in some way :)
    I planned on doing some planes for the hair but I never got around to do something about it. I removed a scarf he used to have and thus created some space in the texture for that sort of things.

Joker_47: well with the exception of the light/occlusion/normal bakes, it's hand-painted :poly142:

divi: thanks! I think the spots you're referring to are rendering artifacts from the maya viewport. some AA would probably have cleaned it up but I don't realy mind them being there :P

Also I did create the textures at a 2048 resolution but scaled down/sharpened etc. as far as I could while still keeping a descent quality. The highres is pretty sloppy and could've used a couple of more iterations as well.

Texture.jpg
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Nice! You got some mad texturing skills!
    I had a look at your website, some really cool stuff you got there. Keep it up!
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good but, uh, enlighten a noob here will ya...what's a "bent normals" bake?
  • kotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I'm glad you asked... cuz I have no Idea! XD
    googled a bit and found this thread on the subject: http://eat3d.com/forum/questions-and-feedback/bent-normal-maps

Basically what I use it for is to get some "light from above" that's more accurate than what you'd get from a regular normal map :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Get a dynamic pose for that first shot. Otherwise it looks real nice.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for sharing your different maps, this is an amazing job. thank you!
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    I love everything about this guy with the exception of the wraps on his legs. They feel way too thick for some reason.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    He looks amazing, fantastic texturing :) so is he not using a normal map at all then? just for the colour process.

only thing I can say is his eyes look a lil close together and the back of his head comes out a lil too much, but Im loving every inch of him :) ....damn!!!
  • kotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffro: I had a hard time doing something dynamic with that expression on his face, I might give it another go and see what I can come up with.

crazyfool: The ambience is at about 75% If that makes any sence :) so he's still using the normal map to some degree.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    love this! so incredibly clean. excellent work kotter! thanks for sharing!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Tiny crit regarding the alpha transparency. You could cut off a bit of the polies for some real cheap and fast optimization.
    lessoverdraw.png
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work. I really like the sculpting and the lighting.

My very first impression was that the texture seemed incomplete. His face feels realistic, but the clothing textures seem more stylized. This does give it a nice graphic look, but I wonder if a bit more texture definition on the clothing would balance it out?
  • lewist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work on the sculpt, not to mention some beautiful use of color. Very cool to see the maps too!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    good stufff. I would watch the head from the side view, looks really long from ear to back of skull.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Snader wrote: »
    Tiny crit regarding the alpha transparency. You could cut off a bit of the polies for some real cheap and fast optimization.
    lessoverdraw.png

Snader i'm not seeing how what you outlined would help? From what i can see of these teeny little photos is that you'd cut a piece of the hanging cloth toooooooo....save on UV space? otherwise it's still 2 tri's from what I can tell you did. The other part I can't even begin to see what you are suggesting unless you meant just make it one straight sheet as in one big poly per arm band thing?

Please explain :)
  • kotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not that techincal but I assumed it had to do with the rendering cost etc?
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    DDuckworth wrote: »
    Snader i'm not seeing how what you outlined would help? From what i can see of these teeny little photos is that you'd cut a piece of the hanging cloth toooooooo....save on UV space? otherwise it's still 2 tri's from what I can tell you did. The other part I can't even begin to see what you are suggesting unless you meant just make it one straight sheet as in one big poly per arm band thing?

Please explain :)

+1

Also wondering, seems like nothing has changed in terms of polygons.
    Btw. Kotter, really nice models. Awesome and clean textures.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    Good stuff. Good texture work.

Using an alpha for is front cloth is really unnecessary though. The amount of tris it would cost to get that shape on his cloth would be way more efficient than alpha. You wouldn't even need much.
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    I think it looks great with alpha on, but then I guess textures "costs" more than geo nowadays.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Good to see u posting again kot. I think the char is gr8, esp the sculpt, but the material distribution kills the design. U've got a lot of them and in no particular order (metal below cloth and on top, same for red stuff). It's not easy to handle so many materials and maintain balance and composition, and while I don't think u'r effort is bad, it def doesn't make the most out of the sculpt.

I made this... it's still not well balanced but better, I think. Continues yellow-orange-red-magenta into purple-blue and adds some designs to the armor stuff for consistency. In that aspect, the main orange cloth could def use a design, an emblem or something...

kotter.gif
  • DrillerKiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    I've gotta agree with shotgun, you've got a lot of good sculpting going on, but the design is all over the place.
  • kotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ait guys, thanks alot for the feedback and especially that paint over shotgun :thumbup:

so I changed the colors towards the paint over, made a new neck piece for him and some tweaks to the mesh.

here's a comparison shot:
    NewTexture.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    wow, u really took my advise seriously! :)
    well, on that note, let me show u what i meant by cloth design..
    kotter.JPG

the idea is to follow the same shape-creating logic, in this case (derived from the forearms-pads) u've got a border-design and an inner-design. u've repeated this successfully in the knees-gaurds, neck not really but ok, now do the same on the cloth. Rather than what u did, an asymmetric design in the corner, which was cool but unrelated.

As far as shape creation, i simply repeated the same ones, the flower ornament and the rounded thing, both different but could co-exist. Other shapes u could incorporate/repeat are the shapes of the objects themselves, like the shape of the knee-guards or his hair. This repetition helps bring things together and form a unified, thematic look.

Beyond this u'r finished :)
  • kotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks again shotgun! I appreciate your time and I'll give that a crack tomorrow :)
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Looking hot kotter! Keep going.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is awesome!

So what map did you use to get your shadow colors in your color map?

I was messing around with the bent normal map and am having issues with the lighting info flipping over the seams. Did you run into that at all? I was using xNormal to generate them.
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    I love it! I still think your original was better then what Shotgun had to say.
    Shotgun, your crits and paintovers are nice but simplicity is sometimes left best alone.
    I still think your original should be where it was..its nice and clean!