Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

World of Warcraft and CoD: Modern Warfare 2 Project

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Mike_Carlyle polycounter lvl 17
It's been awhile since I posted anything, I don't think anyone was complaining about that though hehe... So here I go...

This was a project I worked on last term in school.. I wanted to do a project where I picked contrasting art-styles and my ability to reach them. I got the project / pieces done, but there's things I know about them that I would like to come back to and give more love and or re-do... a couple buddies told me to go ahead and post it up here and let ya'll take a look, so here it is...

I hope load times on the img's isn't to bad, if so, yell at me...

Carlyle_DFS1_Render_1.jpg

Carlyle_DFS1_Render_3.jpg

Carlyle_DFS1_Render_5.jpg

and here is the Modern Warfare ( themed ) piece.. a bombed iraqi building .. its actually made from a photo of a bombed out building in baghdad... it looked like an interesting piece so thats' why I picked it... here's the photo ref..

iraqi_building_reference.jpg

Carlyle_DFS1_Render_2.jpg

Carlyle_DFS1_Render_6.jpg

i hope ya'll like em... I plan to get back to polish these and change some stuff later on down the road.. I will be sure to post progress! :-) I hope everyone had a great holiday season...

Replies

• Mike_Carlyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In case you wanted to see some more. I had some fun the stuff, like loading them in to unity and trying to see how much of a little town I could rebuild off the pieces that make the wow building.. and marmoset is pretty awesome!

WoW_WIP_3.jpg

WoW_WIP_4.jpg

In-Game_Shots_3.jpg

In-Game_Shots_1.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work man, it's kinda disturbing with a building without doors though. Other than that, solid work indeed, show us your texture sheets as well!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Mike! This is really cool! My favorite shot is the one where you put a town together with just that house haha. You made a great composition with it ^_^

But yeah, that is kinda weird . . . no doors? ahaha
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    looks good.
    The MW2 building's window glass needs few tweaks tho.
    Your "glass" goes over the frame's crosspieces. And it shouldn't. Also the glass could have had more opacity because right now it does not even feel like a glass even if it was supposed to be 100% dirty.

Btw, could be cool to see texture sheets for that building as well ;)
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work man, it's kinda disturbing with a building without doors though. Other than that, solid work indeed, show us your texture sheets as well!

Could be modular, seperate door piece could be added later for greater variety.

It looks great, it's a neat idea to try to attack two very different styles. Show's good versatility.

It could be Marmoset lights washing it out, but if I were to offer any criticism, it would be that the WoW building texture could use a bit more contrast. All in all, great work.
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks everyone! :-) I appreciate it!

@Jakelear - "Could be modular, seperate door piece could be added later for greater variety." .... That was my goal.. Modular pieces.. I made ( on both objects ) everything outta pieces so that they could be plugged together to make different tiered and sized buildings using the sections...

ya i never did do a door for the WoW one .. I will do one though :-)

@Matroskin - Thanks :-) and about the glass... I was alittle confused on this.. I made the decision that if a bomb hit the building and did the damage thats there and burned out the rest.. that there would be no glass... and what I have there is tattered cloth / debris... I gathered from the reference shot that in some shots it was very thick looking and dangling in spots.. So i decided to just throw some of that random material around, as opposed to doing glass shards... still kinda comes off wierd, and distracting.. might consider a re-work anyways...

@ Jessica and Chris - Thanks! :-) and i will try to get textures up asap... first day of new term here at school... busy busy already! thanks again!
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again everyone! Sorry it took so long to get the textures posted.. school started up and it's been crazy... and it's only gonna get nuttier, so i thought I would go ahead and post now.. Thanks again to everyone... :-)

Wow Building:
    wow_1.jpg

CoD:MW2 Building:
    cod_1.jpg
    cod_2.jpg
    cod_3.jpg
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    It would be nice if you can put more highlight on the World of Warcraft house, to really pop up the contrast and sell the texture. For the moment, the wood looks a bit flat. Continue your great works! :D
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome, thanks for the feedback, will do! and I appreciate it :-)