Home Unreal Engine

Problem with controled destruction

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Lord Fryingpan polycounter lvl 12
I've been trying to create a level using UDK where the player would destroy parts of the environnement to progress.

One of my ideas was to create a destructible pillar that would create a bridge once its base is destroyed. I therefore created a fracture object, but it appears that once destroyed, the player passes right through the broken chunks.

I tried something else and made a static mesh affected by physics, and put it on top of a fracture object. But this time, the base, once fracture, retained its collision box, and the static mesh stayed hanging in the air.

I tried to tweak some options in the fracture object, but I didn't manage to make my level work. Do you have any idea how I could make it happen ?

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I would not use physics to do this as simulations are too unreliable.

I would animate the pillar being destroyed using matinee. To control the collision you could enable and disable the collision on some blocking volumes placed in the world.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    or you may even be able to create some sort of a physics based animation in max/maya, and import that and call the animation to happen when damage is given through kismet. and then toggle the volumes as sprunghunt said