Home General Discussion

"Sandy Bridge" is out!

Replies

• XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Intel finds Sandy Bridge chipset design flaw, shipments stopped and recalls begin.

http://guru3d.com/news/sandy-bridge-chipset-design-flaw-recalls/

What's going on ?
    Here's the thing we can confirm, the problem is to be found solely in the SATA 300 controller, the SATA 600 controllers are unaffected as well as any other added controllers on your motherboard.
    On the up-to four SATA2 (SATA 300) ports in a timeframe measured over years, your performance failure rate 5% to 15% based on standard usage. The controller simply will produce more errors and as that result the controller performance thus will go down as it tries to correct it. Worst case scenario is that the overhead would get so big that your HDD/SSD would not be recognized in Windows any longer. These predictions are all based on statistical numbers though.
    This is not something that can be fixed with a BIOS update, a new revision fix of the silicon is the only alternative.

Who is effected
    But yeah, this likely means the replacement of all Sandy-Bridge-based motherboards, laptops, and pre-built PCs currently on store shelves or already in running in your home.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    lol, i literally JUST started a thread about that haha.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops :), yeah this was a bit disappointing... I hope AMD can do better.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I just came here to post that, Only finished geting all the parts and built my system less then 2 weeks ago. Well I'm only using one sata2 port for my dvd drive (which is only occasionally used), and the sata3s for my ssd and hdd, so should be ok I think.

With that said, this thing is FAST. I can comfortably sculpt in zbrush with the document size covering my whole screen on 10+ mil poly meshes now, and the ssd loads everything MUCH faster. Now just waiting for Kepler to arrive so can improve UDK performance.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah I haven't had any issues either. My HDD's are in Raid0 on Sata3 ports and it's fine. I have bluray and DVD burner plugged into the other two. Everything runs great and ridiculously fast compared to my old system.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey PolyHertz do you know any release Info on the Kepler? Hopefully prices of the Fermi drop super quick when it comes out, (yeah I'm a cheap fuck).

Wonder what AMD/ATI has planned for us... they're lagging! At this rate I might have to switch sides :(.
    I think I remember seeing a dude holding a 6990 in his hands, just a massively gigantic card.

Edit:
    WTF is this monster doing out of his cage?
    8648.jpg
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    That giant card reminds me of "the internet" from IT crowd;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4zpxaaIKLI-Kj7AR-mXtnzOgfDhT286U5gceGV33y6SkzC-M8Pw&t=1

ok after googling for a ref image to post, they don't look so alike anymore :p