Home Technical Talk

Local Transforms in Max

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
Okay I've got a couple of questions regarding local transforms in Max. I think I'm doing something wrong.

It seems that Max's local transform coordinates only work half of the time on edges for me. Allow me to illustrate what I'm used to in another package (Softimage):

soft_max_localc.jpg

Is there perhaps an option I am missing for this?

Also is there a way to extrude edges (shift-drag) on the local transform? It works great in every other coordinate.

Many thanks!!

Replies

• MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's just how max works. I had to deal with that nonsense with face normals. The same normal would have its x/y in a different direction than another one.

To get a good edge extrusion, use this script

http://www.illusioncatalyst.com/ic_tools.php#IC_ExtendSurface
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    Yea max's local transform was always a problem for me too. I ended up writing a script similar to how modo works when choosing local action centers on edges or polygons.

With edges I just align the transform gizmo using the edge as one of the axis and build the normal from that. On Polygons I align the gizmo to the polygon normal (like how max normally works) and then change the alignment to the longest edge in the polygon. If that makes sense.

I really need to take a look at that script again and remake it before I release it.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    That's a bummer, I was hoping I had missed some kind of check box, lol. Matt that script works perfect! Bryan I'm sure a lot of folks here could use that kind of functionality if you have a script in the works, I know I would.

Thanks dudes
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, no problem. :)
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    Nice tool!

But IC.ExtendSurface frack my gizmo! :\
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Can anyone even explain the logic behind Max's shift-drag extrude on edges? Maybe I'm not using it right. Or is it just bugged?

It seems like sometimes I can shift-drag along an axis, and it works as expected. But sometimes it just goes off in what seems like a random direction.
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, idk. I really only shiftdrag when I don't want precise exutrusions or extrusions around a bend. For that I use the IC tool or extrude via a face if possible.
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry for necrothread. Bigjohn, are 3D snaps on? this can cause erratic movement in Perspective view.
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    j_bradford wrote: »
    Okay I've got a couple of questions regarding local transforms in Max. I think I'm doing something wrong.

It seems that Max's local transform coordinates only work half of the time on edges for me. Allow me to illustrate what I'm used to in another package (Softimage):

soft_max_localc.jpg

Is there perhaps an option I am missing for this?

Also is there a way to extrude edges (shift-drag) on the local transform? It works great in every other coordinate.

Many thanks!!

That's why I've switched to Softimage from Max and will never come back! Max is good for some technical workflows but it has ugly ooooold schooly instruments - even the latest versions with various add-ons (like polyboost) attached. Without VERY SERIOUS remake of Max's core interaction model (ARTIST <-> 3D Environment) it will always stay behind the packages like MODO or XSI in modelling aspect. We may add scripts/plugins or plugins whatever we need but it stays crooked...

It's my personal opinion - not for "holy war"! ))