Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Japanese Zen / Stone Garden

Replies

• tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Getting a feel for composition. Still need a lot more elements in the scene...

kcMh1.jpg
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely coming along! Keep it up.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    tristamus wrote: »
    Getting a feel for composition. Still need a lot more elements in the scene...

There is a reason why you should work from Big to Small. Bigger elements in the scene help set the composition, while smaller props just fill out and add detail. You won't get better composition by adding more detail to the scene the way it is right now. You need to think in bigger brush-strokes. :) When you do that, you'll also start to feel like you're getting somewhere quicker.

So start off gathering more reference for the type of composition you're looking for. It doesn't have to be a zen-garden but just awesome composition and angles, even colors.

You need to decide the main-visual element in the scene, it'll help you finding an angle you like and even though the reference might show a clean zen-type garden doesn't necessieraly mean that it'll look good in-game. You need ways to break the wall up, grunge/cracks and/or color-variations. :thumbup:

I also spent some time googling shots of Zen-gardens, and I have yet to find a really good one with awesome composition that I like.. :poly117:

But good work so far! Really nice job on the details of the props and walls, looks really good :)
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    There is a reason why you should work from Big to Small. Bigger elements in the scene help set the composition, while smaller props just fill out and add detail. You won't get better composition by adding more detail to the scene the way it is right now. You need to think in bigger brush-strokes. :) When you do that, you'll also start to feel like you're getting somewhere quicker.

So start off gathering more reference for the type of composition you're looking for. It doesn't have to be a zen-garden but just awesome composition and angles, even colors.

You need to decide the main-visual element in the scene, it'll help you finding an angle you like and even though the reference might show a clean zen-type garden doesn't necessieraly mean that it'll look good in-game. You need ways to break the wall up, grunge/cracks and/or color-variations. :thumbup:

I also spent some time googling shots of Zen-gardens, and I have yet to find a really good one with awesome composition that I like.. :poly117:

But good work so far! Really nice job on the details of the props and walls, looks really good :)

Thanks Chris! Will definitely take that all into consideration. I thought I would have learned that by now, that the big picture is more important! :poly142: