Home Technical Talk

3dsMax 2011 problem

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
Got some problems with 3dsmax 2011, in the 64bit version, when I import something it just doesnt show up, it says it's importing but nothing shows up, I do get a polycount and everything
Tried it with several obj's, always the same.

With the 32bit version I can import by pulling an OBJ from my desktop into the 3dsmax screen, but no Dialog boxes/screens show up when I want to save, open,import, export etc.
It worked before but now all of the sudden it doesn't, haven't done anything to the settings or anything.

Anyone had this happen before?

edit: tried a reinstall aswell same stuff

Replies

• Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Try checking the object list (default "h" key) or open outliner if you have it. If something is there then check if it's hidden, if not, then select the things and use the "zoom extents all" hotkey to zoom in on the object which may be located in some random position.
    Or center the object to the world using some script (or use transform dialogue)

If nothing is in the object list/outliner, then maybe check if that obj actually has any data on it... does it work in any other program?
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the reply, tried it but no luck.

Here's what happen exactly :

I start a new scene in 3dsmax :

problem_1.jpg

I go to the import screen and find a file and import it :

problem_2.jpg

My viewport automatically zooms in on nothing, face count goes up though, nothing is hidden.
    problem_3.jpg

Same obj in Zbrush :

problem_4.jpg
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    looks like it might be a scale issue..because you grid goes all wacky...in zbrush there is a way to increase the export scale...dont..remember it off the top of my head...when I get to work I'll look it up and post it...worth a shot
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    installed 3dsmax 2010 aswell, no dialog boxes aswell, is there a way to completely remove 3dsmax, i tried it in my configuration screen with add/remove programs function, but it still remembers my settings, might be worth a shot aswell.

thanks low odor, tried the same with a simple box in 3dsmax 100 x 100 x 100 exporting and importing it, doesnt work.

Getting pissed off over here
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    The same things happen to me (Max 2011 x64) when I drag and drop the OBJ file into the viewport. But then if I import it properly through the menu (with the dialog box), it comes out with no problem. The object invisible thing is kinda similar to when I use RoadKill unwrap through RenderHjs' TexTools link, I wonder if this is the same case (error in Max's export import stuff).

_Revel
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if I drag and drop it does work in x64, can atleast continue with it now.

Still find it f-ed up my dialog boxes dont appear in x32 and in 2010 x32

Thanks for the tip Revel ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like you're getting something but its just incredibly small. You could try scaling it by using the type in coordinate system down at the bottom of max and see if anything starts to come into focus.

I've always run into problems when using max's new obj exporter with a preset. If I use the default it seems to be fine.

I remember some issues with the way zbrush exported, try what DustinBrown suggested and see if that helps.
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=702593
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @TheDarkKnight
    Huh?..for me, the drag and drop (no dialog box) screw up the model and render it invisible but the import from menu (with dialog box) did a good job importing it.

@Mark
    I tried to scale up by a lot (literally a LOT, because it just didn't came out dragging the gizmo a few times I put the 99999 there still nothing showing up lol). For the dialog box preset I just use ZBrush and it works for me.

_Revel
  • Numerator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It may be too far from the camera. Try setting the far plane farther away.
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when you reinstall did you try renaming the enu folder?

C:\Users\YOUR LOGIN NAME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2011 - 32(64)bit\enu

rename to enu.old or something.

good luck! :)
    -uninstall 3ds Max 2011 with Add/Remove programs
    -Manually remove the residual 3ds max folder in:
    C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011

-empty trash

rename the enu folder to enu.old
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Neavah, that worked!!!
    Thanks alot
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    np :)
    when I had to reinstall, took me 4 hours of running around in circles to figure out i needed to rename that folder... haha :P
    Glad it worked!