Home Technical Talk

3ds Projection Modifier MAXScript Questions for Source Game Engine Project

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
shawnolson polycounter lvl 13
I am building a displacement/terrain exporter for the Valve Source Game Engine. One of the things I am trying to do is use the Projection Modifier for the source of the displacement geometry.

For each vertex in the base geometry (a plane) there is a matching vertex in the projection cage... What I need is to be able to get the location of the vertexes to measure the offsets, etc. I also need to calculate the directions of normals, etc.

The problem is that I am not finding the MAXScript docs very useful here. I'm also not finding anything useful on any of the Google searches.

I just cannot seem to figure out how to reference all the cage nodes, faces, etc. Maybe I've staired at the screen too long and fried my brain? But if someone could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it!

Before anyone askes, I am aware that there is already a VMF terrain generator ( http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=8 ) but that tool does not do all the things I want--primarily make displacements for the Source Engine right inside 3ds Max. I also want to be able to do all of the texturing and alpha painting inside Max... so this is primarily why Nem's tool doesn't cut it.

Thanks in advance!