Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MG08/15

My first project for WW1:Source is a lovely little MG08/15, I gave an arm and a leg for the refs as there seem to be almost none out there. I'm modeling the ammo drum separately ad this is what I've got so far for the HP:).

doneq.jpg

Replies

• sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got the bake done, still dome errors on the AO though.
    25000449.jpg
  • camza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice. Your HP looks looks very clean. Can we see some wires?
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty solid there, can't wait to see the final :D
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    screenshot6ll.jpg
    Still only blocking out the materials on everything but the water jacket.
  • NoctyQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the bake, love the HP.
    I seriously don't know why but almost every time I see a well executed/nice bake rendered in real-time I realize why I want to do game art for a living.

I think this will be even more awesome when it's done, and that says a lot! :)
    Never seen this gun before but everything looks believable I can't wait to see it finished, mounted and bringing down nazi's! :thumbup:

(Bad knowledge of History added to give a sense of humour. Not to be mistaken for racism or any other -ism.) ... :poly136:
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    camza:Thank you, did you want to see the HP or the LP wires?

Super Happy Cow:thanks, I did try most of the suitable places noted in the reference thread but The only stuff i could find was on the standard MG08 which was only of limited use. ended up finding most of my ref from places like warrelics.eu (i think that was it anyway).

bbob: thanks, I really enjoy most of the work you do so that means a lot

NoctyQ: Thank you that was very flattering and some great encouragement :) . I try my best :poly136:
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YAY
    screenshot9f.jpg
    screenshot11k.jpg
    screenshot10bg.jpg
    My texturing skills are really not up to scratch, any tips would be greatly appreciated.
  • LowerDef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work so far!

Maybe it's just me, but the main "receiver" of the weapon seems a bit out of scale. When I see images of the weapon, I feel like the silhouette of the gun is really dominated by the water jacket, but on your model it feels like the receiver is a little tall and wide, taking away from that iconic look that all WW1 MGs seem to have.

Another thing might be to try and bring some of those dents and dings of the water jacket out stronger without so much diffuse information.

As for texturing, maybe less saturation on the wood, and little more of that olive green you see for ammo cans on the water jacket itself.

Very small critiques. The weapon's looking great!