Home Technical Talk

3dsmax 2011 Edit poly - flipped faces after mirror/clone/attach

Hey folks,

I think that problem exists for several 3dsmax versiosn now. And I don't know how to fix that bug.

You may have ran about something similiar too. The problem is that 3dsmax accidentally flips the faces/ normals when you mirror, clone or most often while attaching objects in edit poly - randomly.

Have you also seen such problems?
Anyone know how to fix that?

Cheers

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Is the mesh imported from some other program?, did you try throwing an edit poly modifier ontop of the stack before you mirror/clone/attach?.

Here is a similar thread http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79364
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    It's not random. An object has a transformation matrix. When you mirror an object, the matrix gets flipped, but the polygons normals stay still.
    To reset the matrix, you should apply a Reset Xform (under Utilities) When a flipped matrix is reseted, you'll see it will flip the faces. So you have to select them and do a "Flip" in your edit poly modfier. You could also use the "Normal" modifier to conform face normals.

Same thing happens when you attach an object with a flipped matrix to an objet with a reseted matrix, the previous object matrix is "reseted" and the faces of your object get flipped.

For stuff like a character, you could use the Symmetry modifier instead, to avoid that little process.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    you could also use the mirror modificator, which doesn't flip the normals
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, and what can I do when I ahve random flipped faces in my mesh that i can't really see in 3dsmax but when exporting in cry engine 2 they get vissible because they're invisible then?unify normals script didn't do the trick for me...
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Did you Reset Xform it ?
    The flipped faces should appear black. Or right click on object>object properties>General>check Backface Cull
    So only 1 "side" of the face will show up. If some of of your face become invisble, they are flipped.
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah had resetted xform.
    But I just did a workaround now. Copied another piece which exported correctly ;)