Home Technical Talk

2D.5 normal map problems

This is my first (of many) posts so hi people. I've been finally given the motivation to join the chat and stop perving from the shadows due to a really annoying problem I've encountered with z-brush and its normal map material.
Frankly the results are shocking, far far too intense. you can see the geometry Is there but the depth is crazy. Lowering the intensity in crazybump just flattens the image so thats a no no. Also tried grab doc feature in z brush then using the alpha as a height map... another no no.
I've been playing around with making textures in z brush 2.5d feature. Modelling several tools then meshing them together to create the desired effect. Now the tools geometry is relatively flat; about the same height as what I'd use in 3d max (with texture bake) to get the kind normal maps I'd like. Once I've done that I am using the standard normal map material and painting over the whole thing. I'd seen this done on some since-removed video on the pixologic class room. Currently I am only interested in the Normal map as I'll do the diffuse in photoshop then tweak the hell out of it and apply overlays in crazybump.
My old method was to model some tools in z bush decimate them and import to max then use the grid and instances to get them to align which is time consuming and slows my computer right down. Please help!
Relveant images below;rocktest1.jpg

Replies

• Howser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I figured it out myself... the problem is the depth at which I am drawing the tools. Default 1 is far too high for this style of tool. I adjusted the setting to about .15 and the results are a lot better. However if there's away to do this to the document rather than the individual tool that would be nice. well now I've figured it out I'll do some more rocky textures and post the results. Thanks anyway,
    Howard
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    looks right to me, lots of those angles are close to 90° which only looks wrong because irl most of the cracks will be hidden by parallax. There might be a better way but what i would do is just clamp or reduce the contrast of the red-green channels in photoshop Image>Adjustment>Curves might give you the best results seeing as you dont want to reduce the contast in the mid-range (128] only the extremes (256,0).