Home Technical Talk

Max 9 uv editor settings not saving

PredatorGSR
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
Every time I open the unwrap uv edit window in Max 9, it is set to a huge grid, snaps are turned on, and planar angle and quick map gizmo are turned on. For my workflow, I need all of these turned off. However if I change the settings to what i want, every time I add a new unwrap uv modifier, it is reset to the defaults.

Even when I set my settings correctly, and choose to save as defaults and collapse the unwrap uv modifier, it resets to the same broken defaults for the next modifier I set.

This is Max 9, and I'm sure this is fixed in newer versions, but is there another way to save new defaults so that I can work around this?

Replies

• renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    by writing a maxscript that adds a UVunwrap modifier with custom settings. That's how I always force my defaults on any max installation. It would require though a custom macro key (shortcut) binding or some button in the interface to add it.
    If you are interested in that I can look up some code snippets for that, other than that it sounds more like a bug. I think I was able to save settings as a default to the UV editor though the workflow for that was always confusing to me, hence why I started scripting instead.
  • Mark Dygert
    Make sure you are going to UVEditor Window Main Menu > Options > Save Settings As Default, instead of clicking the "make default" button on some of the pop-up windows. The make default buttons only last for that session.

If that is what you're doing then I guess it could be a permissions issue with your windows log-in account. If you're not set up as an admin with write privileges it might not be able to write the necessary files.
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I'm doing it that long way, and I do have admin privileges, all my other settings save. What is really annoying was that I turned on snaps once, and somehow it saved as default so now snaps are on every time on a .5 grid, which is unusable until it is disabled, and I can't seem to change it back.

Is there a text file somewhere where these defaults are saved?
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    oh yeah, the lovely unwrap editor...

i vaguely recall setting some defaults in the UV unwrap ini file that's living somewhere in the max installation tree and write-protecting the little f**ker. uv unwrap has behaved ever since.
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »
    oh yeah, the lovely unwrap editor...

i vaguely recall setting some defaults in the UV unwrap ini file that's living somewhere in the max installation tree and write-protecting the little f**ker. uv unwrap has behaved ever since.

Had high hopes for this, but it didn't seem to fix the problem. Pretty much resigned to suffering for another couple months until we upgrade to 2011. Incredibly irritating since I have a habit of collapsing the uv editor instead of just closing and working with modular sets with dozens of pieces that can't be combined, so I have to uncheck those damn snap settings 15 times within 5 minutes.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    If the ini thing didn't work you can have a MaxScript savvy team member edit your Macro_UnwrapUI.mcr file to change those settings everytime the unwrap window is exposed.