Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First time doing kind of concept art in PS w/ tablet

Hey polycount!

I always wanted to dive into concepting some landscapes with my Wacom bamboo (which works really well and I actually bought for sculpting).

So I just started on a little piece.

What do you think?
I'm currently working on some details and highlighting from the sun.
Suggestions and crits would be kind :)

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the perspective is kind of screwed up
    add some color so we can see depth and more of your concept
    a good start!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    It's got a nice flow to it, but if you're serious about getting into digital landscape painting you really should be starting with colors (atmospheric perspective) and a solid perspective like n88tr said.

atmos1.jpg

Just going off on a whim and painting is fun, but you may run out of steam and not pick up much on the way. Tutorials are invaluable for growing as an artist when you're just starting out. In my own opinion you HAVE to check out this DVD if you get the chance:

Techniques of Dylan Cole: Introduction to Landscape Matte Painting

Rent it from the library if you go to school, buy it on amazon, borrow it from a friend, whatever.

I literally became 5x better at landscape painting after watching that video (I'm no dylan cole but i do ok), took 2 hours time to watch it. It says introductory, but the core skills and techniques taught in it are pretty much boundless.

Main crits:
    Don't worry about linework so much, maybe a bit at the start to build up some perspective in the foreground, but generally speaking you're going to want to build up large areas of mass with gradients as a base for your digital art. Look at the image i posted above, outdoor scenes are generally just large globs of similar tone and color, you want to paint in your details once these are in and working. It really is liberating once you realize how lighting works and how quickly you can rough in a landscape that looks really nice.

Also don't be afraid to use reference and literally choose colors directly off of it. Try to emulate the same lighting, learning as you choose your colors how everything works with each other to create the colors and tones in the scene. Bounced lighting, atmospheric perspective, material, skycolor, reflection, specular, texture, all these things work together at once and if you keep your mind open while looking at reference you can slowly integrate them into your own work.

1 more link for ya to check out, not perfect but it'll do:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHMwtucfKyo[/ame]

Goes to show just how important choosing the right colors at the very start are, as well as really nailing the perspective. If you don't get these right at the very start, you will fight them the whole way through. If you get them right, you will fly by and everything will fit together!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not too shabby for a first time.

Your strokes seem to lack confidence by that I mean you seem to scrub back and forth to define a line. Almost as if you're not quite sure where it is going to go so you take 2 steps back for every 3 you move forward?

It's something I used to do all the time too mostly in my "I want to be a comic book artist days". One thing that helped me, was to think about what that stroke was going to look like and try to lay down as few solid strokes as possible.

Being more deliberate and less sketchy with my strokes has helped me a lot in just about everything I do. It also sets you up to work with lighting in a more integrated and natural way rather than framing everything in black lines comic book style, you define shapes and pools of light with color values.

Mind you I'm still very much on the path of learning when it comes to painting and doing concepts.
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow great feedback!!
    Really appreciate that :)

"Techniques of Dylan Cole: Introduction to Landscape Matte Painting" looks really helpful, will try to get it :)

Using reference seems to be key when matte painting.

@mark Dygert

Yeah some strokes are really loosly drawn, but I didn't really erased a stroke just painted over and over :D

Matte painting seems to be pretty interesting, will practise more, Think that it will come in handy for some enviornment scenes I will do in the future.

But I don't want to do only landscape. Also want to do props ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure where you're 3D skills are at, but it can also help to block in some base shapes and set a camera just as a base to start painting over. I've seen quite a few artists start off that way especially with cityscapes, toss a few boxes around, wrangle a camera and you've manged to tackle some tricky perspective issues.

This might also interest you: http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3275
  • sebi3110
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just managed to bought The Techniques of Dylan Cole 3 Advanced Digital Matte Painting for some bucks at ebay :)

Unfortunately part 1 wasn't available there.
    But I will practise with part3 then :)
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The color helps a lot. Keep at it buddy
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I def. will. Waiting for the DvD right now :)