Home Technical Talk

The Importance of a good blockout

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8

Moderator note: NextGenHardsurface died in 2013. The site has since been taken over by spambots. Visit at your own risk!

recently, I wrote an article (in collaboration with professional 3D artists Andy Davies and Laurens Corijn, both instructors at Eat3D.com) about the importance of a good blockout when creating 3D (or any other kind of) art.
it's been posted on eat3D's industry news page, so perhaps some of you have read it already, but for those of you who don't, go and have a look

oh, and the article contains some tasty 3D art by andy, laurens and myself.
enjoy ^^

(c&c is always welcome, too )

Replies

• Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    great article! suprised im the first person posting to this..?
    Always find it helpful to read these articles :D Thank you~
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Great article MaVCArt! :)
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys :) I really appreciate the fact that people seem to enjoy reading my (and laurens's and Andy's) opinion about blockouts :P

if you think about it, it's kind of logical that a blockout is really important, but if you really start paying attention to it in your workflow, you notice that you still make a lot of mistakes to that most basic rule. that's what happened to me anyway, and that was the reason I wrote the article in the first place :)

but ofcourse laurens and andy participated too, for which I am very grateful. I just figured that since I'm just a student with no professional experience to speak of and no real notoriety on forums like these, I might as well contact some people who know the trade...
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    It's a nice read, but it seems... odd to me at the same time. I always do a rough blockout of shapes when I start a project; I can't NOT do this step.
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ofcourse you DO the blockout step, but the mistake a lot people make (me included) is skip ahead way too fast. the longer you work on your blockout and make sure you have a 100% perfect base to start from, the better your end result will usually be. at least, that's my experience :)
  • boski_miszczu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boski_miszczu polycounter lvl 4
    Is there any chance to find somewhere this article about blockout?
  • Neoekamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoekamp polycounter lvl 5
    Hey just a heads up, I'm getting some reaaally dicey redirects when I click your link.  Might want to let someone at the site know.  Shame cuz I really want to read that article.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Neoekamp said:
    Hey just a heads up, I'm getting some reaaally dicey redirects when I click your link.  Might want to let someone at the site know.  Shame cuz I really want to read that article.
    The link is 5 years old, this thread got necro'd. Good chance the site died a long time ago and the domain was bought up by someone else.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Nothing on the wayback machine, unfortunately.
This discussion has been closed.