Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

lightpost ammunition tower

I decided to scale down on what I'm working on and have settled on making a tower which a texture artist I work with made for one of his past mods. This is a Lightpost ammunition tower from the mod Brawlers.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/brawlers/images/brawlers-environment-art-concepts5#imagebox

wipo.png

wip12.png

Replies

• tesher07
    So I started work on the high poly model and just need to finish up with the lights, but I'm not sure how I should go about them in terms of the size. Also some ideas as to where to add small details would help :).

wip2q.png
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    lookin pretty solid as far as the reference goes. id say maybe make the wires on there a bit thicker so they stand out some more. also the width of the chamfered side seems a bit too small.
  • tesher07
    Thanks, I'll see what I can do about that. About the width of the side I'm not going to bother since I wasn't aiming to be 100% on the proportions more of just simple practice. More small detail crits would be helpful, hope to you update soon ^^.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Is the first post supposed to be the lowpoly? If so, you need to balance your poly distribution a bit better. Right now you have 10 sided cylinders for the lights, and it looks like you based the wired on 10-sided cylinders as well. This makes no sense because the lights are much much bigger than the wires. If I zoom out till the point the lights are no longer obviously angular, the wires have become about one pixel thick. More sides on the lights, less sides on the wires.

You've also misinterpreted the wiring, as you've put a small box on the right, while on the concept that wire goes up to the right light. The fusebox at the base is also off in terms of placement, scale and shape.
  • tesher07
    The model will be seen from a 3 quarter 3rd person view so about the lights I don't think they need to be any higher but I do agreee with you on the wire with the angles as thats the only with with 10 sides "stupid me". I also intentionally made the wire not go up into the second light as that wouldn't of made any sence in my opinion. As for the fuse box I intended not to follow the exact shape and scale. I have 2 questions though.

1. If I want the lights to come out right in a bake do I need to higher the amount of side on the light to say 18?

2. On the top cirlce is it important for the inner part to be chamfered because it comes out weird when I do, probably because of the edges.

wipu.png

wiptest.png
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Could you give a viewport screenshot (no wires) of the approximate size and angle of the thing?
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    U could have some silhouete variations along the height of the tower, e.g. some varied radius, division or something to break up the straight cylinder shape. Otherwise the "8-sided" cylinder thing looks too simple and reminds more a fire hydrant.
    Also that door would need some stairs to get to ;)
  • tesher07
    Thanks Matroskin I'll keep those in mind. Can someone answer the 2 questions I had about the image though?