Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

W.I.P Post Apoc Volksrod

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
islipaway polycounter lvl 10
Hey, as is often the case... Long time lurker seldom poster, looking to do some more serious work. Slow going working stuff in around work but am looking for some honest crits to apply as I go with this. First time using Maya and 2nd time with high/low work flow.

The Idea is a hot rod VW Beetle based in a post apocalyptic mid 60s Britain with the slant more on survival than guns strapped to cars, working on the car first then the environment.

moodboardi.jpg
wheelscrit1.jpg

So far I think I am done with the wheels, I should say I'm not shooting for an ultra low polycount, somewhere in the region of 50k with full interior and working steering, moving engine parts and maybe a deer on the roofrack.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Visceral
    really looking foreward to this one, keep us updated! really loved the references
  • Julmust
    Reminds me of M C Barretts stuff here -- Worth checking out for ideas.

Really nice stuff! :)
  • Zelenkov
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    oh yes :) Me like! lol I love the very top first one. But if your going to mix and match I'd say the very top one and the one underneath it driving in the snow. It'd be nice to see snow and rusted metal incorporated. I'd say stay away from the "heavy-vulcan cannon-machine-gun-cliche", but a gun does sound good on there! Can't wait to see it done. We'll be watching this.
  • islipaway
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys, will do a bit of a paint over once I get some more shapes down, sketching isn't exactly my forte but I have a pretty firm image in my head. M C Barrett's stuff is a good call, definitely going in the inspiration folder. On the guns thing, part of the design was going to be a single headlight, I am starting to think a Browning poking out other side might be sweet.

So got the start of the chassis down and the majority of the low poly steering area. Anywhere I'm going wrong technical wise?

crit2b.jpg

I made the Chassis as one object but starting to think I'd be better off making it out of intersecting parts?
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    There are some weird bumps on the high poly for the rear tires along the area that would contact the ground. It looks good but I think you should push the polycount on the low further. All that suspension geometry would look and bake a lot better with more polygons.
  • islipaway
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm thinking I might re-do the rear tyres at some point, they don't feel properly matched to the fronts, though I was going to try for a more rugged feel. I will see how the appear when baked, I figured I could just smooth the normal out in photoshop anyway?

What areas specifically in the suspension do you think require more polys? I was trying not to go mad as all those cylinders add up pretty fast, most are 8 with a few 6 sided, up them to 8/10/12? or do you mean more bolt, fastenings details etc? I still need to add in the brake lines and the rubber joint bits that go between the piston looking things.